Looking for comments on JD F687

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brian M, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Brian M

Brian M LawnSite Member
    from CT

Does anyone have any experience with the John Deere F687?
    It looks like a really nice machine, it has a front mounted deck and the deck flips up for easy cleaning. I don't thing it's a true zero-turn, although it does have the levers for steering. I don't know of any other mower with a flip up deck that's not a dedicated rear discharge mower. You can side discharge, mulch or attach a rear mounted collection system. Plus it takes several attachments up front like a rotary broom & snowblower!
    I'm looking for any comments good or bad.

2. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Grasshopper 600, 700, and 900 series do that plus more.

3. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

i used one , or similar to it, the F620. for a couple years. i liked it, i didn't like the length compared to my Mid-Z i have now. the bagger was excellent, a little wide with the blower attachment, but it worked so well, and being able to dump it from the seat was great. it is a true zero turn, you just have to watch the back end when turing that you don't hit something. i never had the chance to use the other attachments, but i considered getting another one so i could. the entire body of the F687 flips up for service, seat, bars, and all! also a lot easier to clean the deck than mine.

hope that helps ya

4. Brian M

Brian M LawnSite Member
    from CT

anyone else?

5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

We have an F-620 which is basically the same thing. Ours has a 20 hp Kohler with a 60" deck and it is way underpowered and it is slow. I'd say it goes about 6 mph max. The machine is built like a tank and we use it for rough area's and roadsides mostly. I think the top speed on the F-687 is about 8 mph so if you want to be productive I suggest you look at a Grasshopper.

6. Brian M

Brian M LawnSite Member
    from CT

Landscape supply,
    I did look into the Grasshopper and they do have every attachment I could ever possibly need but I think they're too pricey and there isn't a dealer close by so I'm leaning towards JD over Exmark, not to rag on Exmark but I think they got their name from the "marks" it leaves on the lawns, and I'm not just talking about divots from z-turns but tire track marks as well. I've got a light weight LZHP with a 48" deck and it tends to leave tire tracks on a high percentage of the yards I do, I don't understand why it's happening considering it's the lightest Lazer Z they make but it's time to look into a different machine! The JD 687 disperses it's weight onto six wheels so maybe that will make the difference for me, plus I won't have to crawl under it everyday to scrape off the deck or change the blades!

7. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Brian, Ihad 620 bought at Lomac in e. Windsor had it about

a week returned to Dealer. Some compaints same as others

bought a Scag STHM easier on hillsides. Bought a Walker

MT-20. Alot better package. I like getting off to dump box.

Ed

8. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm a grasshopper guy. they are pricey but well worth it IMO. I've gotta diesel which should last me at least twice as long as a l/c gas. wise investment IMO. hard to beat the front mount and flip up deck. very nice riding machine as well. i do suggest the bar tread lp tires. i never leave ruts and i mow some pretty wet stuff sometimes.

9. QuikKutLawn

QuikKutLawn LawnSite Member

Brian M, check out the string titled John Deere F687. Just search for that name, I'm not sure how to direct you there otherwise...

10. Brian M

Brian M LawnSite Member
    from CT

Already did!