Looking for concrete breaker - suggestions?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Kidder, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Kidder

Kidder LawnSite Member

I have a 2006 Bobcat S250 skid steer and am looking for a concrete breaker for this unit. I am wondering what is a good breaker to buy and how much should i look at spending. How many hours on a breaker make it too many. Suggestions please. Thanks for your help.

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If you want a breaker and have the work for it I suggest buy brandnew then you know what you got. Buy a used one you take a chance of buying a breaker that was on a machine that was abused or had contaminated hydraulic oil etc.

3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think that you can likely use an hourly useage guage to decide on a breaker. There is no meter on them, so you are relying on someones word as to how many hours a unit has. I have no idea how many hours I currently have on mine. What does matter is how it was used and maintained. If its used check that the tool is snug in the hammer, check that it has an adequate nitrogen charge and then use it to be sure it hits like it should. I also like the idea of buying new on this item. I have bought used and rebuilt them. I currently have an Okada breaker. I like it. I have had a Stanley and Esco. All have been good really. Got many hours out of the Stanley. You could handle a 750 pound hammer. You could expect to pay around $7500 and up for a quality new one.

4. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

I bought a 500 lb breaker some time back. If I was to do it again, I would get the 750.....it makes pure cake out of residential and puts you in competition for commercial. The 500 is fine, but everyone has one for 4" concrete.

5. Duramax8832

Duramax8832 LawnSite Member

This one worked well for me

work pics 047.jpg

work pics 038.jpg

6. mzgloves20

mzgloves20 LawnSite Member

Did you ever consider a drop hammer or are you only in the market for the breaker?

7. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

Interesting question, would a drop hammer work instead of a breaker? I've never ran either so I'm curious?

8. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know what this guy whats to achieve but a drop hammer would be the ticket for large flatwork type breaking. However a breaker is more adaptable for different types of demolition.

9. mzgloves20

mzgloves20 LawnSite Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz9DIU_yNFs

Here is one brand. There r several but all work the same way. Very deep penetration. Shatters the under side of the cement like a car windshield. Scoop it right out after.

10. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Caterpillar hammers for skid steers are very powerful, less vibrations and oil flow is needed.