Looking for employees with a valid license

Discussion in 'Employment' started by JacksonvilleLawn, Feb 20, 2008.

1. JacksonvilleLawn

JacksonvilleLawn LawnSite Member

As a owner of a small lawn care company (5 employees incuding myself), I am having a very difficult time finding workers with a valid driver license. The workers I have don't seem to have any friends with a DL or the one with
    a DL don't want to work in the landscape field. The one driver I have now I pay him $16/hr and my other guys make between $10-$12/hr. They all get
    holiday pay and bonus at the end of the year. Without guys who can drive I
    can't grow my business. Other than incentive programs for my employees to get their own driver license, do you have any other ideas in finding employees with DL. I've tried the following ways with very limited success; newspaper ads, signs in front of work yard, signs along roads, $500.00 bonuses for anyone to find me a qualified work with license. My criteria for a worker is that they must have a legal drivers license, be able to read english, a stong work ethic and some experience would be nice but not neccessary. Any suggestions you have would be very helpful. Thanks.
  2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Good luck with that request its not going to be easy:waving:
  3. mikecaldwell1204

mikecaldwell1204 LawnSite Member

Thats pretty good money for Florida 16/hr as a foremen, I dont understand why you would have a shortage of workers even at 10-12 an hour since most down here start you at 8.