1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Looking For Exmark Vantage Reviews

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by mcw615, Jan 18, 2014.

1. mcw615

mcw615 LawnSite Senior Member

- Cut Quality?
    - Clean Striping?
    - How much more efficient is it versus a standard walk-behind?

Our maintenance division is mostly residential, servicing properties 5-8k sf. We love the 60" lazer. And it's striping. But, it's often pretty bulky for these size properties.

We were just awarded a $180k annual common grounds contract. It's a retirement apartment style resort property. A lot of small areas and lawn strips. We are considering the stand-on as it's a combination of a zero turn and walk-behind. But don't have any experience demoing these mowers to ensure the precise cut and stripe quality is the same as we offer with our 60" zero turn, or 48" walk behind.

Thanks in advance.

2. johnsonslawnmanagement

johnsonslawnmanagement LawnSite Senior Member

Subscribed
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

I own a 60" Vantage. Since it uses the same deck as the other mowers the cut quality should be similar as well.

If you have specific questions for the model I own I am happy to try to answer them. Btw, mine has the efi engine.

4. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

From what I see of guys using standers, they're way more efficient than a WB. Those guys are flying, with zero downtime to wrestling into corners, around stuff, etc. My friend is almost exclusively commercial and apartment complexes and uses nothing but standers (Wright, in his case).

You need to demo all the different standers to get an idea of their drive controls, as they vary between manufacturers.

If you stick with eXmark, the cut and stripe quality should be the same.

Congratulations, on the contract. :clapping:

5. newguy123

newguy123 LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a 52" Vantage with the Kohler EFI. It also has the ECS controls. While the machine is super agile, it can tear up turf easily. I'm not a fan of the ECS controls personally.

In morning dew or dry the cut is great. Anything more than that and it clumps pretty bad.

At the end of the day it's a really good machine...would it buy it again? Probably not...

6. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

Controls are more important than, I think, most people realize. It was eye-opening, when I demoed a couple brands.

Supposedly, Hustler has a stander on the way with their H-Bar. I'm curious to demo one.

Honest opinion. :clapping:

7. nylesedwards

nylesedwards LawnSite Member

would you recommend the vantage?

8. Mikeyd

Mikeyd LawnSite Member

I have 52' Vantage. My only complaint is it's to SLOW!

9. nylesedwards

nylesedwards LawnSite Member

What controls do you have on it?
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. newguy123

newguy123 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll second that...very slow ground speed.