looking for expierence, 3 yards mulch and..

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by snapper, Nov 15, 2006.

1. snapper

snapper LawnSite Senior Member

a single axle trailer. 6.5x12 1 3500 pound axle. Assuming i can get three yards comfortably on it, and the tires and springs look good, how far am i pushing my luck? This is mulch from a local green waste recycling yard, and i am guesing it will be 8-900 pounds a yard so three yards would be 24-2700 pounds. So it would be right on the line. Has anybody done this? This is a one time deal and a fairly short haul.. So should it handle it???

later!! chris

2. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

It'll be perfectly fine..

3. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Mulch is much lighter than you think. Most is under 600 per yard even damp.

4. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

yea, mulch is light, id say around 600lbs per yard, you will be fine with 3 yards,

5. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

weight is not a problem but youre gonna need sides or a big tarp to keep it all in the trailer

6. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I do not see any issues. How are you getting it, bagged or bulk. I have one supplier near me that for every yard I pay for, the loader probably gives me about 1 1/2 yards. That would be my only concern, but not about the weight, just the capacity to fit it in that trailer.

Overall, you should be okay.

7. snapper

snapper LawnSite Senior Member

well i am hopin with one foot sides, and if i heap it up, and then tarp down it should ride fine. I am going to make some plywood sides so i might spend double and make them two foot tall.. Well i am glad to know the weight wont be a concern...

Thanks guys!!

8. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

one foot sides will proabably not fly, i have a 6.5x 14ft trailer and we loaded up 1 yard of river rock, and 3 yards of mulch earlier this year with 1 foot sides and it was kinda messy.

9. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

your trailer can do it, but 1' sides won't cut it. I put on plywood sides when I'm doing leaves or mulch. Mine is a 6'4" wide x 10' long trailer but I put in a toolbox in front so the new area is 6'4" x 8'4" (fencing fits in real nice). here is a pict of it to help give you an idea. If you search my posts you'll see more picts. 3 yards on my trailer goes almost to the top, remember to take it easy on the turns or you'll crack a spring, you will be near the top of your capacity. the trailer probably ways in around 900-1200 pounds. leaving you with about 2200 pounds.

woodensides.jpg