Looking for feedback on mowers.

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by 4Jester, Jul 13, 2005.

1. 4Jester

4Jester LawnSite Member
    from INDY

First time posting on the site, also a new member. Been reading some good information on several of these threads. I've recently been researching several ztr mowers and have narrowed my choices down to a few. This is where I hope you come in?

From everything I've read, it sounds like I'm on the right track. Currently I cut 3-4 acres a week, which is my home and a church across the street. I have hopes of slowly starting up a few residential lawns next Spring and take it from there. The mowers I'm debating on are the eXmark, Hustler & Scag unless convenced otherwised. Preferably 44" - 50" cut, and either Kohler or Kaw. motor. The ground I've been mowing is bumpy, not alot of inclines, and a fair amount of trees and obstacles. This would be a mower I would like to keep for years to come with hopefully minimum repair.

This will also be my first ztr so I know I'll need some adjustment time, along with I'm sure a lot of trial and error.

Appreciate any feedback, Thanks!

2. loom-gen

loom-gen LawnSite Member

exmark or scag get the better price. Hustler is fast and will beat you up on those bumps. exmark is more has a little better seat but both ex and scag are tremendous mowers. Some of the city crews like toros too. check them out; I guess they do well on hills. This is just hear-say though. 52 is a great size all around.

3. LawnMowerKing10

LawnMowerKing10 LawnSite Senior Member

john deeere z traks all they way , or bobcat ztrs!

4. bbahun

bbahun LawnSite Member

I would look at a ferris. Especially with bumpy terain. The IS suspension will make your mowing much more enjoyable. They are priced competativley. They give a great cut and are very well built. I looked at some last week and will probably buy one for our next mower. As they say"When you buy quality you only cry once"

5. bbahun

bbahun LawnSite Member

Also I would consider looking at a mower with a Briggs&Stratton Vanguard big block. They are bullet proof! And have a ton of power.

6. C&K

C&K LawnSite Senior Member
    from East TN

I would personally recommend getting a 48 or 52 inch walk behind if I was going to mow that much and especially if I was going to add a few yards later on. Walk behinds can be used on more hills or banks than ztr's and the money saved on the price between the ztr and walk behind is hard to overcome when mowing that little. We have a 60 exmark ztr and 2 48 tthp's and the tthps have a great cut and in some cases are as or more productive in smaller spaces.

7. Cheapscapes

Cheapscapes LawnSite Member

I have the Scag 48", ride on, tiger cub..love that machine.cuts great! picked up two 5 acre residential accounts.couldnt see walking those accounts.this year i also added a used Lesco 48" walker, use that on the properties with hills..i agree with BBahun..get the most machne you can afford

8. SPENCER HUNTER

SPENCER HUNTER LawnSite Member

WELL I GOT MY 07 MINI-Z 42 INCH CUT W/19 KAW,,, OF COURSE I HAVE USED THE OTHER ONES,,SCAG,GRASSHOPPER,,, BUT WHAT SOLD ME ON HUSTLER,, LESS GREASING ZERK'S LIFETIME WARRENTY ON FRAME,, EDGE OF DECK,, 3 YR ON SPINDLE,,''S AN IF U USE THERE SPECIAL OIL U DOUBLE YOUR WARRENTY ON YOUR ENGINE,,SO YOU R OUT ON THE JOB MORE,,, BUT THE FLEX FORKS ARE A MUST,,, YOU HAVE A BETTER RIDE,, IT HANDLE'S THE SLOPES BETTER,,, IN 08 HUSTLER IS HAVING A NEW ADDITION TO HUSTLER FAMILY,,, FAST-TRAC SUPERDUTY 48 IN 23 HP KAW & 54 INCH W/ 25 KAW,, 2WARRENTY ON COMMERCIAL USE AND 4YR ON RESIDITIONAL USE,,,, " WAY TO GO HUSTLER ":cool2:

9. Ducati996

Ducati996 LawnSite Member

Have no idea why a Wright Stander rapid height 52"(or larger) model didnt jump right out already, but that is my only choice -since you were looking for a ZTR, with great traction & cut quality