looking for formen

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Scenic Lawnscape, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape LawnSite Senior Member

When looking for a qualified landscape/hardscape formen, where do guys have the best luck looking. We have tried the local paper (small town) the state landscape orgnizations.. Any other ideas, i was thinking the bigger news papers, but i also am open to ideas

Thanks

Rich

2. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

When looking for a qualified landscape/hardscape formen look for one that can train others. This should be his main goal for at least a few months.You may have to pay top dollar for a while but if the training pays off you will be better off in the long run.

Try the hispanic communities most of them work hard and catch on quick.

3. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

The local jail usually lets us have them for a work program. They give us as many as you want and you can work them to death they wont give a ****.

4. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

In my opinion the worest way to find one is the paper, youll get all sorts of people coming out of the woodwork for the job. The best way is hire someone work with them, get to know them. The foreman for my boss's company has been working there for years now. My boss knows everything about the guy, how he operates. You need to get to know someone, teach them, learn from them, learn their habits...are they good or are they bad. If you want a good foreman who you can trust with all your equipment, your business, your jobs, everything basically, you should put sometime into it. Look at some of the local colleges that offer landscape majors and minor. Good luck with it.

Jeff

5. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

What about your state department of labor? I listed for free and got a couple of quality hits in a week. I ended up talking to a crew leader for another local company and I will be hiring him. I know it is cut throat, but just go talk to other company's foreman and give them a dollar or two incentive. More than likely they would do the same to you.

6. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

The best place to find qualified and experienced employees is from the competition, in the corprate world , there are companies ( head hunters) that lure key employees from one company to work at another . ( for a fee)

7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

other companies are the best bet. Tey to find someone who is NOT unemploied. they have no job for a reason.

also depending on where you are, be prepaired to spend some money.

here a good foreman is $40K/year minimum

8. larz

larz LawnSite Member

I HOPE TO GOD YOU ARE REFFERING TO HISPANIC AMERICANS.

9. larz

larz LawnSite Member

YEA, BUT THAT REASON IS NOT ALWAYS THEIR FUALT. WHAT ABOUT THE LOYAL PERSON WORKING FOR A RATHER CRAPPY COMPANY THAT GOES OUT OF BUSINESS. KIND OF A CRAPPY LITTLE RULE YOU HAVE THERE, UH?

10. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

a little sensative??????

what are the odds that your add will run just after someone has lost thier job????
    And if the guy was smart he should have seen the demise of the business coming and switched jobs earlier.

and who said it was a rule?????
    all i said is that you should not target unemployed people.. any good foreman will get snatched up VERY quickly...