Looking for groundcover

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Davis TLC, Aug 29, 2000.

1. I have a bank along a customers fenceline that was not graded properly when the new fence was put in. It is too steep and narrow to get a mower on to cut it. Currently using a trimmer with a blade to cut this area. The customer is looking for a ground cover that will keep the bank from eroding but will not take over her fence.

I was wondering if you guys or gals had any suggestions on what to use.

2. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Blue Rug Juniper-it won't climb the fence.
    Asian Jasmine- tough to find; looks kind of like Perriwinkle but I DON"T THINK it climbs.

3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Some type Juniper and pine needles.

4. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll second Barkleymut with the Blue Rug Juniper

5. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I agree....Blue rug is the way.

jeffyr

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Juniper or pacasandra.

7. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

I did a hill side this spring also. I planted blue rug juniper also. It will not climb up and it will cover the hill in about 2-5 years. I bought mine at the local Lowes store. They were only 4.99 each and if they die within 1 year Lowes will replace them with no questions asked. I put down weed block then planted the shrubs and then put down a layer of mulch. Customer was very happy with the finished look, and no more hillside mowing. Good Luck with your project. Mowman

8. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

Hey just wondering what kind of weed block do you guys commonly use?

9. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I have had good success with area like this by planting a HARD FESCUE (not tall fescue) and letting it grow. i treat the area just like a lawn other than mowing. I covers the whole area to limit the washing, it looks nice when weeds are kept out, and there is no mowing. Not sure if the grass grows in your area of country. just another option.

10. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I don't use weed block...unless you are going to put stone on top. Once the mulch starts to decompose, it turns to soil...on top of the weed block. Weeds will the grow in it anyway after a season. Anybody agree ?

jeffyr