Looking for help buying a backpack blower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joeco129, Oct 16, 2008.

1. joeco129

joeco129 LawnSite Member

I'm looking for a backpack blower for my personal use. I'm not a landscaper, I'm a residential remodeling contractor... I've been looking at my local HD and Lowes and been comparing A Husquavarna and an Echo. Both seem to have models from $200 to about $320...

I did notice the Husky 150BT California backpack $320 is only a 40cc/175mph/438cfm and the Echo @ $320 is a 44cc/154mph/830cfm and seems to have more creature comforts like cruise control... Any of you use either or both?

Any suggestions or comments I appreciate? Or things I should stay away from?

I also saw a 32cc Troy Built 4 cycle for $239.00... 150mph/475cfm only 15lbs too... Good deal or not?

I want something to last a long time and don't mind paying for it... Are 2 cycles that much better than a 4 cycle?

Husky does have a 25cc/140mph for $189.00... Doesn't even list the cfm's. Is this a cheapo?

Thanks again to anyone who replies... My back and my yard appreciate it!!!

2. Going Commercial

Going Commercial LawnSite Member

I would buy a Stihl blower. They have many models to choose from. You may be able to buy a better hand-held with enough power for what you need. There is a reason why you won't find a Stihl at Lowes or Home Depot

3. karlgrooms

karlgrooms LawnSite Member

Got a husky 145bt about 6 years ago at Lowe's for home use. I picked up a yard, then two and on to now twelve.. The Husky has performed flawlessly with absolutely zero problems and no TLC... It has spent the last four years on my truck or on the trailer out in the weather. It always starts by the second pull.

This year I upgraded to a more powerful Stihl br600 cause I knew there was something more. The br600 is awesome, quiet, and tons more powerful. I can't believe how much more I can move with this unit.

If your looking at a box store brand then the Husky is quite a good buy. If not I would recommend going by your local Stihl dealer and have a chat with him. Stihl has wide range of blowers, with their most powerful br600 at $479.00. I'm sure they have one to fit your needs. You will also have dealer support to answer questions or if something goes wrong.

Stihl units come with a 2 year warranty also.

4. RedRebel

RedRebel LawnSite Member

I bought a shindawia eb630rt for 225$ off ebay. It was used very little by a homeowner and you can tell. So dont rule out a used br550- 600 or a shindawia cause you dont want to pay 500$ or more.

5. Weedas_Lawn_Care

Weedas_Lawn_Care LawnSite Member

buy a stihl 380 model for $299 you will be much happier and the dealer will take care of any problems unlike lowes or HD

6. IHusky

IHusky LawnSite Senior Member

Go big, you won't regret getting something that blows 800 cfms, escpecailly

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  7. thu cutting edge

thu cutting edge LawnSite Senior Member

yea look at an echo or stihl. Husquavarna is nothing but junk. i own all echo and stihl and they are really good pieces of machinery.

8. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

For home use, just save some dough and go Stihl BG-85 handheld. If you really need a backpack then for just grass go Stihl 380, I use this and it works perfectly for my company. Just remove the curved end tube and you've got the same power as the BR-420. If you do leaves than I would definitely go with the BR-600.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I recommend finding a local Outdoor Power Equipment dealer,
    someone involved with Stihl and Echo.

First you need someone who understands the correlation between miles per hour and cubic feet per minute,
    as there exists little in ways of comparing what has never been a standardized form of power measure and it just doesn't quite
    work out the way most of us might think, thus it is better if an experienced salesman can match a unit to your specific needs.

This being no small purchase you will also want someone who can service the unit over the years,
    including the fact that warranty issues are handled locally and the dealer can answer most any questions.

btw the bg-85 is a decent unit but it sucks in terms of value for the dollar.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  10. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Topsites is right again. Stay away from the big box stores. Service is just as important as brand choice. I have Echo's and Stihl's and love them all.