Looking for help on bid for LARGE hedge trimming

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J&J Lawn Care, Apr 9, 2004.

1. J&J Lawn Care

J&J Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Ok here is what im looking at it's 6 rows 300 ft long of Red Tipped Photinia's. Will have to cut both sides will be open no fence or anything to get in the way will be topped about 4 ft tall. Thats 600 shrubs I have looked thru the search and have seen where some charge 10.00 for small and 20.00 for large to me these are not large but not small so if i charged 15.00 each that would be 9000. each cut. I cant see anyone paying that. So anyone have any ideas besides run the other way. I just cant come with a way to charge this size job.

thanks jimmy
  2. Jim H

Jim H LawnSite Member

How long do you think it would take you to cut and clean up 10 of them? Why don't you estimate how much time it will take and charge by the hour? I cut 20 red tips the other day and it took me about 1 hour to cut and clean up. I charged $75. $60 an hour plus a nice dump fee.
  3. J&J Lawn Care

Thank Jim H

I'm looking my best guess at cutting 100 ft an hr with a total of 5400 foot counting both sides and top with myself and 3 guys will take 3 full days= 30 hours with cleanup and 80.00@hr $2400 plus dump fees so round off to $2500 what do you think.
  4. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

Another option is to give them a range. This method has worked very well for me because many times I will get done faster than I thought I would, and some times it takes longer, and if it does I'm covered because I will always give the customer a high and low range and I'm sure to make the high range high enough that if it takes more time that I thought it would I can just charge them closer to my higher price.
    Just an idea
  5. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I agree... on something like this I would give them a range of cost. I've rarely had one that big so I would only be able to swag it if they wanted a hard number. Most times I;ve not had a problem with customer in giving them a "not less than or greater than $x"
  6. J&J Lawn Care

Ok thanks guys I didnt think about the no less than this and no more than that. It will probably be the best way to do this job at least the first time.

thanks again