Looking for help on outdoor pizza ovens

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by PerfiCut L&L, Jun 7, 2008.

1. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L LawnSite Senior Member

I have a project on my desk that calls for an outdoor pizza oven, and a fireplace. The customer does not want manufactured stone veneer. They would prefer it be of the same walls stones as the patio.

We have never done a cook oven before, and am looking for some advice. His request is that it reach cook temperature in approximately 30-40 mins, vs an hour.

Any suggestions or tips you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  2. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you looked at the oven offered by Kalamazoo Outdoor Gourmet? I don't know if it can be built into a setup or not, but their stuff is pretty cool- there's a showroom in Annapolis.
  3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic

I am partners in Salmon River Landscape Management.
    WE specialize in outdoor kitchens, patios, water features, and internet irrigation (yes we mow lawns too...speciality stuff doesnt always come by every week)

So we have built a few pizza ovens (13 between the two of us) geting ready to build our 14th.

First peice of advice, DO NOT let the customer spec your performances! They know less about this than you do.
    cutting your warm up time virtually in half cannot be guarnteed.
    That depends largely on fuels used, weather, location and to some respects how you want your pizza cooked.

So unless this guy is the CEO of breakstones pizza, tell him it will come to cooking temperature in the standard amount of time.

You start promising stuff that #1 you have little experience in and #2 you do not have 100 percent control over, you will doom yoursel from sqaure 1.

Next thing, size? Fuel type? ventilation?
    and who designed it? are you doing take offs/ bids off Lanscape archtiects drawings? OR are you going of napkins scratching from the customer?
    who speced the fire place and oven to begin with? start there.
  4. TPendagast

Perficut, there is another option as well. Sub your first oven or two and lean over a guys shoulder.
    Whats he job time frame?
    My partner and I travel to alot of specialty work, we may be able to look into subbing it for you?
    IF you don't need to put this in until say.....end of July to Mid August, we could look at giving you a deal on sub rates so you can still charge your standard rate ( we like to travel) you'd just have to cover the travelling costs, lodging, per diem and our standard sub rate.
    dpending on what you charge in MD, you could still make a good deal off the top.
  5. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all the tips.

We have the patio 75% complete on paper. The only thing left is to design the oven. I've found a couple manufatured oven kits which look prety simple to construct. Basicaly an puzzle that you build around. Leaving the design of the housing very flexible. I am still researching availability in the local area since it appears these things are not light by any means. 600 to 1200 pounds depending...

If I can get to annapolis today Ill check out the place mentioned above, thanks.

Cook time is not as critical as appearance and flexibility. He wants it built or housed , in the same stones as the patio. No big deal.

We are also incorporating a wood fire place, and of course a place to store the wood.

I assume given the weight of these ovens plus the wall stones to construct the housing, and flu, it is recommended to poor a concrete footer vs using our standard base aggregate? I dunno. Everything I see on installation, talks about pooring a reinforced concrete slab as the base. I would assume a substantial aggregate base compacted well would suffice. Perhaps 10 or 12 inches? Need a little input on this though.
  6. TPendagast

since you are in maryland, I would guess he concrete would suffice.
    If you were in a more winter weather state ID say the concrete would crack eventually giving the homeowner issues long term.

PErsonally Id would like to see it done without the slab, all that nice rock work and a concrete slab? doesn't match, unless you leave enough relief to rock the surface of the concrete to conceal it.
  7. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

8. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

9. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

stoneage should be available through your local ep henry dealer
  10. talus

talus LawnSite Senior Member

Have you tried Fogazzo?