Looking For Help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grasssin, Mar 25, 2004.

1. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

Well early this year, when the phone books came out I got a deluge of calls from people looking to see if I was hiring. "No " I told them thinking I had plenty of friends to work for me. Now after the second week of full time work I now know I cannot count on any of my worthless friends.

They all have something better to do or too hung over to work in the sun.

There is a Hispanic church across the street from me and I am probably going to try and get a good worker over there for $8 an hour.

Anyone had any experiences like this? Or should I get a help wanted ad in the paper?

2. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

HA! You pretty much figured out what the rest of us have figured out over the years - most gringos and friends are worthless when it comes to actual physical labor.

The hispanics should do very well for you. On average, they've been my best workers. Not to say they don't have tricks up their sleeves and not that they are all good. But a lot higher percentage of them are good workers than any other class of workers I've worked with.

The newspaper should get you TONS of response - which is what you want. Interview 10 or more before you decide who you're going to hire. Experience, language skills, work ethic, etc. can vary greatly from person to person. Interview a lot of people and pick the best one.

3. monkey9197

monkey9197 LawnSite Member
    from NY

i think they are the hardest workers. and make sure they can handle the basic english skills too