looking for helpful advise.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by dad of twins, Jan 31, 2006.

1. dad of twins

dad of twins LawnSite Member

This will be the first business that i have started . And i figured it might as well be one i know a little about . But here is my problem.I know the basics of lawn care and i have all the equipment that i need for right now. but my biggest concern is the business side of it. The advertising mostly, learning how to get new accounts and getting your name out there the best way a person can. I really want this to work and I'm all ready having doubts. is that normal .(my wife said I'm not normal so don't worry about it). anyway any helpful advice would help. thanks allot.

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Stay residential for now, don't go bid commercials with your lack of knowledge, lots of flyers!!! Once you get some people from those, you will hopefully get some clients by word of mouth. GOOD luck, welcome to LS

3. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

mcwlandscaping is right. Word of mouth will be your biggest advertisement. Target a few neighborhoods and put up fliers/door hangers and talk to people. Don't spread it too wide. The less driving time the better for you. Also, your work is your business card. Make it quality, as well as quantity. Attention to detail is the key.

4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

good points already made, less windshield time the better. Direct mail cards, door hangers and word of mouth are what you want to use. Welcome to lawnsite :waving:

5. Newbie07

Newbie07 LawnSite Member

ummmm...... Don't be afraid to ask a good price. check out the going cost for the yards in your area and dont be afraid to ask for this amount. We learned that the hard way and then you are set in a low price. Also, advertise A LOT!!!! Then it gives you the oppurtunity to somewhat choose your lawns. i know last year we got a yard and asked for only $25 to do everything. I was just dirt and covered in dog crap. Plus the guy was weird. LOL you get what you pay for. Try to pick up customers who care enough about their yard to water it keep the yard from reeking like dog crap. Good Luck dad of twins, im doing our biz this year with two twins :p

Travis

6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Yes it is normal to have doubts. This is our 8th year in business, and every year around this time, I always worry, "will this be a good year? will we be able to replace the accounts we lost due to moving and death?" Yep, worry is normal when owning a business.
    You will need to blanket your area with some form of adveritsing. The more, obviously the better. Fliers, doorhanger, postcards, newspaper ads...
    Get your truck vinyl lettered. You may not pick up accounts from it, but it will give you NAME RECOGNITION. Advertising is not your only worry. Once you pick up a client, will you know how to bid the job? You will need to sit down and figure out what your costs are, so you know how to effectively bid on a property without losing your shirt.
    Good luck,

7. Poppy

Poppy LawnSite Member

Has anyone ever considered a referral promotion to existing clients to offer one free service if they refer someone who becomes a regular customer?

8. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

try a search on this, it has been discussed alot

9. Mr Budget

Mr Budget LawnSite Member

Whats your email poppy:waving:

10. Poppy

Poppy LawnSite Member