Looking for ideas for replacement cabover

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by bearmtnmartin, Apr 21, 2010.

1. bearmtnmartin

bearmtnmartin LawnSite Senior Member

So I have this Hino FB that I use about 3 days a week. As you can see, I demand a lot of the little guy. And it does the job too, but the truck is a 94, and I want to replace it with a newer one this summer. So I want the exact same size truck, but with a little more jam. With the hoe on the trailer, I can do 100 k on the highway, but when i hit a hill, I'd better be over in the curb lane, becuase things go downhill fast when I'm going uphill. :laugh: Any suggestions? Hino no longer makes a cabover here(has to be a cabover) and I am looking for maybe 230 hp? this one makes 185 I think, with about 250 tq.

IMAGE_597.jpg

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The problem is there is no suitable replacements anymore unless you want to look at GMC or Mits. GMC would be easier to get or find because there are a couple Commercial GM dealers in Vancouver.

Hino was the best Cabover made too bad they don't make them anymore for the North American market.

Probably start looking at a 5500 it will still have a small engine you may need to go with a 6500 low pro to get bigger power.

3. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

Look at a Ford LCF

4. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Isuzu nqr.

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

In B.C. we don't have Isuzu truck dealers the GM dealers are the ones that carry some Isuzu but it is mostly GM branded Isuzu trucks.

6. 360ci

360ci LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.autotrader.ca/ and search in your area for ideas and perhaps even a viable replacement.

The Ford LCF is nice, but I'd prefer an inline diesel versus the Ford 4.5L V6. International makes a version of it as well but depending on your area Ford would most likely have better dealer support.

Isuzu would be my choice unless I can get a damn good deal on a new LCF, for a cabover..

7. Caterkillar

Caterkillar LawnSite Senior Member

I have to disagree. An LCF or an NQR are have going to have ZERO balls when pulling that 10-14k lbs. I think you need to go up to Isuzu FRR/FTR. Plus you will have air assisted brakes, jake brake, 19.5 wheels, and a 6-cylinder motor.

8. wellbuilt

wellbuilt LawnSite Senior Member

I have a ford LCF and It seems to pull OK .
    On the hi-way i can cruse at 55-60 mph
    driving around town its 40 -45 .
    On a very steep grade Ive dropped to 15 16 mph but most of the time i can pull a hill at 30 mph+- .
    I pull a 12000lb trailer with the truck maxed out 28000 gvw.

The breaks work good and at 36000 mile i still have some pad left .
    I did have a leaking fuel line and my alt and batteries went dead 7 days out of warranty . ( I think the truck was sitting a while before i bought it ).
    The good year tires where crap and the belts started unraveling at 30,000 miles and i just replaced them .
    The largest problem for me is service , My ford dealer closed up last year. You must take the truck to a heavy truck center, most dealers cant work on the lcf . I get 15 mpg hi-way 10 city .
    The mileage drops way off if you max it out .
    The truck was 29000 new with a 11' 6" dump box .
    so far so good 36,000 miles . John

9. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

our lcf pulls fine too, not going to win any drag races but a lot faster than or mitfuso... mitfuso is a GREAT truck though.

10. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

All very true, i was just trying to keep him out of the poor house on truck cost. My npr struggles on steepe hills pulling my 7000 lb trailer/kubota with 3000 lbs of payload in the body, however, its diesel,its paid for, it has 70,000 miles, its here for the long haul. New truck costs are INSANE !!!