1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Looking for ideas on salt storage

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Lazer Man, Dec 5, 2000.

1. Lazer Man

Lazer Man LawnSite Member
    from SW Pa.

We are thinking of building a salt storage shed. What are the pros and cons of different types of buildings. How big should it be, what is the best material to construct with, and any other ideas you folks might have. What would be the elite structure to have, and what would be an econo model?
  2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

First check with any local code or zoning requirements, and any DEP/EPA rerquirements and see what is a necessity and start from there?
  3. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Remember its easie to ask forgivness then to ask permission. I can see the EPA DEP thing getting real complicated right away. How many tons are you looking to store? Concrete blocks(mafia blocks if you will) about 2' sq and 4-6' long. Stack them on three sides and leave the front open. 2 rows high should be enough. Then get a cove it type garage, or any temp canvas garga etype unit and install on top of blocks. A cover ed pile and easy access with a loader. Also common sense, dont build the thing next to a river or lake.
  4. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

It costs a little more to do things right the first time. It costs even more to do things a second time. What happens when the proper authorities find out about your illegal setup, and make you tear it down, levy a fine, and make you build a proper storage facility???
  5. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Use the search button in the top right corner. Someone posted this question not too long ago & the thread was pretty good. I think that question was almost word for word the same as yours. Pretty funny.
  6. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

while I dont want to egt into a whole letter of the law legal dispute. Unless he is storing a thousand tons of material, no one will even know its there. No harm no foul, worst case set up some erosion control fencing just inside the blocks and that will keep any material from leaching out the sides. If you are building a huge facility to keep material in, then visit the salt institutes web site, they have plans and drawings on how to do it.
    What I proposed he build is 1000000000x better than most town have. My local town has an uncovered pile they leave out all year, also I just delivered to a local college yesterday and they have an uncovered bin with sand salt and a ripped tarp. Every large shopping center near me has a 50 ton pile of mix and a tarp over it, after a rain or snow storm, you can see the white from the salt running down the lot into the drains, so again what I proposed is alot better than what the majority of people use.
  7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Im with you Dino,so many poorly covered salt piles here also.there is nothing wrong with your proposed site,so long as its mostly for personal use.If your getting into the business of selling big time then you might want to to further.You could always spray the pile with Magic and thatll take 99% of the corrosive propertys out of it and keep it from turning into solid blocks.
  8. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

I agree with Dino..

Make a base whatever size you want out of block I would sugguest about 6 block high. On top of that you could get one of those plastic greenhouses pretty reasonable. This is much better than 95% of the setups I see around here.
  9. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I agree with Dino on that one.

However I built a sand/salt/sand salt mix storage building.

I used the traditional 4' frost walls, and then poor 12' tall forms. This gave me an 8' tall cement wall, with the exception of the 3 garage doors on the side of the building. Ontop of the 8' cement walls is a pre fab metal building. The biggest problem with the whole project was the garage doors.

The inside of the building has a tared floor, the cement walls are treatred with 3/4" plywood around the cement. I put the doors on the side, so the trucks could pull a long the front for easy loading.

10. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

Geoff Could you put some pictures of this on here that sound really impresive and quite organized more than some of us.