Looking for info on Nutrients Plus with cavalcade

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by TMGL&L, May 8, 2008.

1. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member

What is cavalcade? I'm told this is a pre m chemical used in these fertilizers. Is this synthetic?

Somebody told me it is the same thing that is in cgm to control weeds.

this is a link to a page with the product descriptions.
    http://www.nutrientsplus.com/combination.html

Enlighten me please

2. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Here is some info from another site, You will not be able to seed the property for 8 weeks after, well you could, but no seeds are going to germinate

Cavalcade™ 65 WDG Herbicide
    Cavalcade contains the active ingredient prodiamine, the most robust of the dinitroaniline (DNA) preemergence herbicides. It offers exceptional value as well as numerous other benefits:
    long-residual preemergence control
    can be applied in fall for weed prevention the following season
    prevents grassy and broadleaf weeds, including crabgrass, goosegrass, Poa annua, spurge, purslane and knotweed and more than 20 others
    highly effective control in both warm- and cool-season turfgrasses as well as ornamentals
    staining is not a concern

3. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member

Is this something that you would include in an organic program?

4. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Cavalcade is a chemical option for an organic based program. We do offer it and it's pretty popular as you get the organic based slow release with a chemical pre-em. Not all of our customers want or can afford CGM, and it really helps on properties that have scalpers for mowing companies.

5. ICT Bill

Here is something I found in a peer review paper

Dinitroaniline Herbicides in Soils

Dinitroaniline herbicides degrade more rapidly in anaerobic, than aerobic soil. Metabolites are numerous and often resemble those produced by the photolytic mechanisms of dealkylation and cyclization. A gradually increasing quantity of residue becomes associated with soil organic matter, as bound residue. For normal use rates, persistence in soils ranges from about 2–3 months, for oryzalin and dinitramine, to 5–6 months for benefin and trifluralin. Persistence increases with decreasing soil temperature and moisture content; seasonal carryover sometimes occurs. Limited evidence suggests that dinitroanilines produce no lasting effect on soil microbial processes.

and this from rogue science: you never know how reliable articles like this are but here it is anyway

Dinitroaniline is a very stable high explosive similar to TNT. There are several isomers of dinitroaniline, of which the most useful, and easiest to prepare, is 2,4-dinitroaniline. Dinitroaniline is rarely used alone as an explosive, but rather it is used in compositions with other high explosives, mostly for shells. The Germans used it in WWII along with TNT to make warheads less brisant so bomb fragments would be larger (and hence more lethal), and also to stretch dwindling TNT supplies. While more stable than TNT it has a lower detonation velocity. Dinitroaniline is an intermediate for making dyes, and has also been used as an herbicide. It is quite toxic as well. The primary herbicide use of dinitroaniline is to control weeds. It prevents weeds from germinating and must be worked into the soil when applied. It also kills most varieties of grasses.

6. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

how harmful is it to people? and what is the cost per 1000 sq ft? Barry?

7. ICT Bill

I spoke to Barry yesterday, he is the preverbial one armed paper hanger right now. He may come up for air in June

8. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

9. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Your cost per thousand would depend on how much product you would purchase. Nutrients Plus pricing is divided into 1-2 pallets, 3-8 pallets, 9+ and truckload I believe. Product is applied at 5lbs per k.

10. GreenthumbGA

GreenthumbGA LawnSite Member

got this sent to me last week, trying to do my own pricing here in GA....

Attached Files: