Looking for input on a golf course bid...

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by BravesFan, Nov 30, 2003.

1. BravesFan

BravesFan LawnSite Member

Wednesday, I'll be turning in my bid for work at a local golf course.

They had extensive damage from Hurricane Isabel. In fact, they have a 1/2 acre+ parking lot filled with brush piled about 12 feet high. Lots of 3 foot round wood in that massive pile...as well as stumps. All of it will have to be cleaned up and hauled away.

Also, they have approximately 30 large oaks(3 foot round...prob. 60+ feet high) that will have to be taken down and hauled away. The stumps have to be grinded as well. The trees are straight drops. Nothing to worry about hitting except ground.

I'm planning the project and lining up my help and equipment.

I'd like any input you guys have regarding pricing. I already have figures in my head, but nothing on paper yet. I'm still adding up all the expenses for the job.

Thanks in advance for your assistance. Don't be afraid to throw some BIG numbers at me. I'm looking for justification over the pricetag I'm getting ready to send their way.

:)

Dennis

P.S. I already know 3 members on their board of directors(private golf course). As long as I don't get too carried away with the bid, I'm in.

P.S.S. I'm thinking a free lifetime golf membership may be included with the tiny print at the bottom of the contract:D

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I would sub out the whole job and charge to fix all areas that will have stumps ground and any other damage, unless of course you have the equipment for that kind of tree work JMO

Mac

3. BravesFan

Mac,

That's basically what I'm doing. I'm still looking for that bottom line price though for the entire job.

There are still a few question marks. I've contacted 3 lumber companies regarding coming in and taking the trees for the lumber. Don't have a firm decision from them yet. If they were to haul away for free, ,that would affect price.

The thing though...this is a NICE course with sprinklers everywhere. We have to decide what size equipment will be able to track across the fairways. A logging trailer may or may not be a possibility.

Dennis

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Dennis
    I got a friend thats a logger and I called him to get some info and here is what he said. If they know that you have the job and are using them as subs your gonna pay and alot, so he suggested going to one of the forman and make it a, I gotta job that I was going to do but I think you could do it faster and we can both make some money deal, He said don't even mention them selling the lumber till after you hear there proposal, alot will give you a price thinking you have know idea about that part of there operation. After you get a price ask them if they will be sending you a check for the sale of lumber if you except there proposal. He said that puts them on the spot to explain how much they expect to gain from the sale and thats when you can negotiate price. He also said that his equipment could probably do about 95% of work without disturbing any ground although it might take a little longer. He uses an 1450 case loader with a grapple bucket for the 1/2 acre clean up and has an 850 with rubber tracks and forks for all the trees. He said they would drop all trees set mats for dozer and take them out in one piece to where they could saw and chip etc. I asked him rough idea of $$$$ and he figured 3 men 4 days min. dumping charge and no $$$$ for lumber sale 15-20k but thats with out seeing and hearing about it 3rd hand. Hope this can be of some help.

Mac

5. BravesFan

Mac,

I REALLY appreciate your help here. Thanks for going the extra mile and contacting your friend.

I can certainly use that info!

Dennis

6. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I would have no idea on what a fair bid price would be without seeing the job. However, a couple things to think about. You can rent Processors to grind whatever material the lumber guys couldn't use into wood chips. Around here horse people pay good money for the chips to bed horse stalls. Some processors are equipped to add color to the wood chips as they are processing which would have landscape value. You could rent a large tracked skid steer to move the material and load into the processor. You just need room for the whole operation and some trucking ability. With the same tracked machine, you could grind the stumps yourself. Morbark is a popular brand of processor out here. I hate to sub anything out I don't have to but of course maybe if I saw the mess I might be singing another tune on this one. One other thought. you can also rent rubber tracked dump trucks which would work well crossing the landscape areas. IHI makes 4 models of these tracked trucks. I wouldn't be too quick to sub everything out. Good luck