Lawn Care Forum banner

looking for input on this truck

7K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  Qualey 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I have had no experience with the c-7 but have heard many rumors that it is a 200k engine at best. Does seem to be a little light on the hp as well.

Also is that the original bed on that truck? Something looks a little off on it like possibly it is a converted road tractor.

#6 ·
I would not consider that truck for your purpose. Air ride as stated is not a good idea for off road applications, although the Pete 4 bag is better than the KW 8 bag off road, still not a great suspension for this application. I had a 4 bag air in a 378 Pete pulling a side dump. I don't like the short bed. Pulling a 160 with a tag trailer is a load. I would go with a 16' bed to max your payload on the truck and also to have a longer more stable towing platform. Although you guys on the East Coast can get by with less hp than we can, I would opt for more power. Your 160 likely weighs around 37K and your trailer about 10K, if you where to pull that kind of weight with that engine, I would want a lot gears. Although the 8LL is a good dump truck tranny off road, with this application of dump trucking and heavy over the road pulling I would not consider it.

I would look for a heavier spec truck, with a longer bed but that's based on my Out West experience which may not be completely applicable to you guys Out East.

#8 ·
I don't think that truck is so bad and it seems about right for the money? The C7 in a tandem wouldn't be my ideal choice. I don't have a problem with the length, it would be very maneuverable. I would like a heavier front.

First place I worked had a Pete quad that was 300 horse with a 8LL and it seemed fine but realize that was a few years ago now...

#9 ·
Just my 2 cents, horse power isn't everything. It is gearing that gets you around the job site. I've found that for me a tandem is the right size. I can get around on tight sites but haul enough to make worth hauling. If I need a lot hauled, I find it's cheaper to hire it. That being said, my truck now is tandem, geared low and 475 hp.

#10 ·
I had a F650 bobtail dump with the c7 behind a allison 6 speed. Was a good little truck to tow around my 14K tag trailer with skid steer but that was about the the capacity. what you are asking the c7 to tow and haul would be to much unless you dont mind going 25-35 up any type of incline with the flashers on.

#11 ·
Just my 2 cents, horse power isn't everything. It is gearing that gets you around the job site. I've found that for me a tandem is the right size. I can get around on tight sites but haul enough to make worth hauling. If I need a lot hauled, I find it's cheaper to hire it. That being said, my truck now is tandem, geared low and 475 hp.
Thats exactly what I need if you know of any trucks that are around for sale let me know.

#13 ·
I would agree that the Pete is light on power....but I would not be afraid of air ride suspension. I LOVE my 8 bag air ride on my T800. This is my 3rd Kenworth with 8 bag air. If all you do is "offroad", it may be a concern.....but really, percentage wise, how much time is on road versus offroad. I think Peterbilt has a valve that allows air in the suspension to transfer faster from bag to bag, for a more stable ride. A friend of mine has one on his little Peterbilt tandem, and loves it.

#19 ·
The info in the ad is kinda a vague but seems like a much better option. In my opinion that is actually low mileage for that year. Bed is goofy looking but would be amazing for rip rap. Get some more info on the truck.
Not too bad looking to me.....looks like a Bomb Demolition Bed. I think that's the name of the bed....they were all over out west for awhile. If the Odometer is correct, the truck is worth that with out the bed.

#25 ·
excav8ter that KW looks nice ! Is that a high lift rear gate ?
It is an air operated high lift. It works great for rubble and concrete. Plus, when I move Skytraks with work platforms, I can open the high lift and use the Skytrak to slide the platform in the dump bed. Then the truss jib lays on the trailer deck, then I park the skytrak over the truss jib. The truck it's self is a 2000 T800 with a C12 Cat and 10 speed WITH sun roof, cruise control and CD player. I LOVE driving that truck. It needs "open shoulder" drive tires and that will make it better in the sand. But I basically I am on road 95% of the time. It's faster than chit too....I need the cruise on or will be doing 80 in no time. Going to have the aluminum wheels done this winter. I'd LOVE to find a set of stainless steel breathers for it too.

#26 ·
I know that Red Pete well. Was part of a large paving operation. They take exceptional care of their fleet and update units frequently. This truck routinely towed tag trailers with excavators/paving equipment so take the "low hp" FWIW. Our terrain is the same as yours here in Bangor. For those on West Coast, this WB is what 99% of 10 wheeler have for dump applications (tall sides, short box).

PM me if you want more info on it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.