Looking for Main Line

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by FNCPonds, Nov 27, 2007.

1. FNCPonds

FNCPonds LawnSite Member

How would i find my main line in my yard? Looking for ways to track down the main lines on irrigation systems?

2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

a shovel......or a water detector.....good luck...

JK about the water detector.....
  3. jimmyburg

jimmyburg LawnSite Senior Member

you can somtimes trace the mainline by finding the valves. go from valve to valve. they should be in a straight line. is this a new install and how old is the system?
  4. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

Rent yourself a wire tracer and track the control wires running along with the main line.
  5. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Locate the valves, and see where they are placed. Also locate the backflow, or pvb. thatll help.
  6. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

We have had to track poly pipe with our 521 locator several times. We insert a fish tape as needed in the poly and hook the locator
    to same and we can follow it anywhere!!

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I've thought of that before, but never tried it. Then again, I've only used my locator about 3-4 times in about 8 years that I've had it. And actually, someone from this site still has it..................... :)
  8. Southern Signature

Southern Signature LawnSite Member

You are going to want to trace the wires because the wires follow the Main Line. nobody i know puts wires in with the lateral line. Try this and i promise it won't let you down.
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Interesting idea....we can't find the valve box on one section using a 521 but since the station working we know were the heads are. We often try to find all the valve boxes immediately on properties we mow.....so it is easier when they fail....nice work in winter and if we lose the account we will sell the information to them.
  10. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Ever tried using the locator on a weathermatic smartline? I get a call from a friend every now and then when his 521 can't find it. We hook up the smartline and hunt it down from there.