Lawn Care Forum banner

Looking for new commercial zero turn

10K views 54 replies 23 participants last post by  StanWilhite 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to the site. I've been searching for a new commercial mower as my other zero turn is losing power, and have come across a Scag Tiger Cub 60'' 25hp Kohler with 60 hrs. (demo) for $6800. Thought I'd ask if you all thought this was a good deal or whether I should continue searching. I'm hoping not to spend over $7-7500 in my purchase. If you think I should continue searching for a better deal, any suggestions?

#5 ·
If you have a Bad Boy dealer close to you I suggest giving the 31 hp Kawi BB Outlaw a demo. $7499 new. You could probably get a better price being the end of the season. Much heavier made, faster, and adjustable front lip on the deck for different cutting conditions. Open access with patented swing away fuel tanks to parts for easier maintenance and repairs.

#7 ·
If you have a Bad Boy dealer close to you I suggest giving the 31 hp Kawi BB Outlaw a demo. $7499 new. You could probably get a better price being the end of the season. Much heavier made, faster, and adjustable front lip on the deck for different cutting conditions. Open access with patented swing away fuel tanks to parts for easier maintenance and repairs.
Bad boy mowers dont even come close to a scag. Bad boy's are ok mowers, but they are not a scag. You dont see any of the large lawn maintenace companies in the US running bad boys. I know the the manager of the Ohio's Brickman group and they have tried them all and they only run, scag,walker,toro, and exmark. I look at what the big boys are running, they mow more lawns then anyone and beat the crap out of there mowers, everyday.
Maybe if bad boy sticks around as long as the big boys, they will earn respect.

I know everyone who owns a bad boy is going to jump on the soap box. Go for it. I love it.

#9 ·
Bad boy mowers dont even come close to a scag. Bad boy's are ok mowers, but they are not a scag. You dont see any of the large lawn maintenace companies in the US running bad boys. I know the the manager of the Ohio's Brickman group and they have tried them all and they only run, scag,walker,toro, and exmark. I look at what the big boys are running, they mow more lawns then anyone and beat the crap out of there mowers, everyday.

I know everyone who owns a bad boy is going to jump on the soap box. Go for it. I love it.
I just traded in my last of 3 Scag mowers for Badboy mowers. It all comes down to dealer support and the company support. I had problems with 2 of my 3 Scags with poor dealer support, and couldn't even get a call back from Scag. I have a great dealer for the Badboys, and the company actually has a person that answers the phone who then transfers you to the person who handles your question not an automated never ending recording. Then the mowers are 2 to 3k cheaper apples to apples comparison. Not an automated never ending recording. I only run 2 trucks with crews. I guess Scag is two busy taking care of Brinkman, Valley Crest etc to deal with small guys like me. Oh well......explans why Badboy sold more 60" Ztr's than any other company last year.

I know Toro, Exmark, Scag has special lease programs etc for the big companies. The companies just take whoever gives them the best deal that year according to a friend of mine who is on his own now that used to be a crew leader for Valley Crest in Dallas.

#11 ·
that deal is OK, but not great..... I paid roughly that for my 52" tiger cub with 25 hp kohler back in july with 0.2 hrs on it. the 60 hrs is basically nothing and they are covering you like it's new, but it still isn't 'new'. Personally I would try to beat them up a few hundred more and pay 6800 out the door

#12 ·
I just traded in my last of 3 Scag mowers for Badboy mowers. It all comes down to dealer support and the company support. I had problems with 2 of my 3 Scags with poor dealer support, and couldn't even get a call back from Scag. I have a great dealer for the Badboys, and the company actually has a person that answers the phone who then transfers you to the person who handles your question not an automated never ending recording. Then the mowers are 2 to 3k cheaper apples to apples comparison. Not an automated never ending recording. I only run 2 trucks with crews. I guess Scag is two busy taking care of Brinkman, Valley Crest etc to deal with small guys like me. Oh well......explans why Badboy sold more 60" Ztr's than any other company last year.

I know Toro, Exmark, Scag has special lease programs etc for the big companies. The companies just take whoever gives them the best deal that year according to a friend of mine who is on his own now that used to be a crew leader for Valley Crest in Dallas.
Dealer support is a bis issues and I agree that when you need help, they should be there. I have never had that problem with my dealers, but I know there are dealers out there that only care about selling the machine. If you cant get help, it makes you lose all faith.

#13 · (Edited)
Dealer support is a bis issues and I agree that when you need help, they should be there. I have never had that problem with my dealers, but I know there are dealers out there that only care about selling the machine. If you cant get help, it makes you lose all faith.
no matter what mower your looking at you will find those that like it or hate it. shop for a dealer you like and can trust then pick the unit. if you like the scag dealer that is a good price and buy it. Ask the dealer how the brand deals with them as a lot of a companys dealings with a dealer are threw a rep. and they change from area to area. Personally my fav is Hustler they send information almost daily. My rep constantly send me sales leads and other information. But that is a good rep their for my recommendation to my customers as I know he will be here if they have any problems.

#14 ·
the dealer seems to be a very knowledgeable guy and has a very good reputation in my area. I plan on trying to work myself a better deal just hope I can get it a bit lower than that.

I've been mowing since I could drive, so about 7 years now. As far as my accounts, I have about 10 residential areas and two commercial sites. Along with this, I own two 40 acre pastures that would be partly taken care of by this mower. Thanks for the help by the way

#15 ·
I think thats high for a demo tiger cat. 60 hours by an owner is different than 60 hours as a demo too. You wont go wrong with a SCAG.
I'm coming up on 60 hours on my BB lightning and if it doesn't explode in flames like my tiger cub did at 66 hours I'll feel confident that the BB at least beats SCAG in the "exploding in flames" category of performance. :)

the dealer seems to be a very knowledgeable guy and has a very good reputation in my area. I plan on trying to work myself a better deal just hope I can get it a bit lower than that.

I've been mowing since I could drive, so about 7 years now. As far as my accounts, I have about 10 residential areas and two commercial sites. Along with this, I own two 40 acre pastures that would be partly taken care of by this mower. Thanks for the help by the way

#17 ·

AGREED! but add Grasshopper to the list

#18 ·

Again another person that has never even demoed a Bad Boy and has formed a opinion.

#20 ·
I saw a new tiger cub in crate with 25 cooler and 61" deck for $6499. I saw this on a Craigslist add from a dealer in kalamazoo, mi. You should consider checking out jd 900 series. I demoed one last week and really liked it. I can get 910a with 54" deck for $7100 otd...it has a 22 kawi.
Posted via Mobile Device

#21 ·
Again another person that has never even demoed a Bad Boy and has formed a opinion.
Dont say something you know nothing about. I never said I never demoed one. I have and dont like it. I know more people that have own them and didnt like them then did like them. If you want to know what works in this field, you need to try it out and listen to others. No matter if you dislike what they have to say. If you are closed minded, and think the equipment or way you do things is the best, you are so lost.

#22 ·
Dont say something you know nothing about
You write this, but yet you give an opinion on a machine you have never owned yourself, just hearsay from others and most likely those people have never run a BB either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.