Looking for new computer

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by meets1, Apr 10, 2007.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Currently running a Dell 8400 Demision. A few years old but the new version of quickboks 2007 & 2008 take up alot of harddrive space. Thinking about new computer for biz ONLY and keep this one strictly for net use, family stuff etc. That way no cross over to get viruses etc off the net.

Wondering what systems you guys run? Why you like one over the other? Money well spent or not? Would you get a desk top vs a lab top computer?

2. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

Stay away from anything with Vista. Vista sucks. They put it out on the market with way too many problems (mostly hardware and software compatibility issues). They were already a year behind schedule when they put it out and still didn't have all the bugs worked out. I can't recommend any Mac or PC in particular but whatever you get, make sure you can order it with XP or buy it without an operating system and buy and install the OS and programs yourself.

3. iowa

iowa LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW IA

Mac hands down.

4. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

Vista is not that bad I am running it now and it is fine. If you buy another dell all the drivers are fine.

Get an Inspiron 1705 or 1505(also 6400) that is what I just ordered with the new dual cores everything is fast now.

5. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

i have a mac and a pc and love the mac, but what are you using for billing and stuff?

6. pixr99

pixr99 LawnSite Member

Intuit does QuickBooks Pro 2007 for the Mac platform. As far as green industry-specific suites, I'm not sure if there's anything for the Mac. Anybody?

7. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

Don't buy a mac.

Vista is great.

Sounds like you need a HD not a computer. Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, a business computer and a net computer and the same thing. A very weak computer but can still run office etc. THat's nothing.

I have a gaming computer, now there is where you power and gigs of ram but office apps can be run on a windows 98 with 500sdram. How can Quickbooks be taking up so much space? How big is your HD now?

if you do buy a new computer, try and get a Intel Duo core and at least a gig of fast ram. (Build your own if you can).

8. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

I have an HP with a Pentium D and a 250GB Hard Drive. My last PC had a 512 processor with a 2.4 GB hard drive with XP. My new one has a 1024 processor and a 250GB processor with Vista and my new PC has more problems than the old one because of the operating system. My computer professor even bought a new PC but he got it with XP because of the problems with Vista. I would watch out

9. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

someone just posted something about selling a few pc's on here. yesterday or the day before it was posted.

10. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

the ad has already been pulled. he posted that they had already been sold.