Looking for new mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by G-father, Sep 29, 2003.

1. G-father

G-father LawnSite Member

Well guys I’m yet another new member looking for a new mower…

I have a Scag walk behind that has served me well for the past 11 years but I’m getting tired of walking.

I’m going to put around 150 hours on it a year so it will last me many years, prob be my last mower purchase. I want to get the job done as fast as possible. Right now I leaning towards a Scag Turf Tiger 60inch 27LC and a Exmark 60 27LC.

I’m convinced that the 27 kaw LC is the only way to go. Longer life, quite, less vibration, and I think higher resale if I decide to sell it. And what’s an extra 1000 if you are already spending 7-8 thousand.

I mow around tons of landscaping so I’m thinking of using the mulching deck for the entire season including leaves in the fall (which is why I think 27 hp is a good idea).

I don’t want this to turn into a Scag/Exmark battle but which do you feel would mulch better (with the kit), run better, and have less problems down the road.

I’ve also looked at some demo models. Do you think it would be worth saving 2000 dollars to get a 2002 model with 190 demo (prob hard hours) on it. In other words (in the scag line) would it be better to get a cub with 21hp 52inch or a tiger with 27lc 60inch demo (190hr) for the same price.

Sorry for the long post but any help would be appreciated.

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I'm an exmark guy so you can guess what my preference is.
    That said I'm not sure you need the liquid cooled if you are only putting 150 hours a year on it.In ten years your only at 1500 hours.Well within air cooled motor lifespan.Will the lc last longer? Most likely. I would tend to stay away from a 21hp 52".it would work, but it just isn't enough hp for me.as well a demo with 190 hours,probably are hard hours.JMO I'm sure others will differ.

3. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

What ever you decide, demo as many brands as you can. You will only truly learn the stregnths and weeknesses of any brand when you compare it first hand to others. Demo, and listen to the guys on this site. Lawnsite.com has the corner on experienced members.

I'm partial to Bobcat and Jacobsen, myself. That is primarily due to personal experience and dealer support. I've used pretty much everything on the Skag line, several Exmarks, and others. Everone will have a reason for going with a different brand. IMO, the majority of new mowers are pretty darn close in reliability and serviceability.

Bottom line, check out your local dealers and demo all you can.

Also, agreed on the need for an LC engine. I don't think it will impact resale all that much.

B

4. Equipguy

Equipguy LawnSite Senior Member

Do youself a favor and demo the Hustler Z or Super Z. You may also want to ck out the Kubota. Good Luck!

5. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

I would get the Scag. It has better spindles that are grease-able, better metal quality, leaves less clumps, and has 16 CC Hydro pumps (60% bigger than a 10 CC) compared to 10 CC for Ex-mark on the Tiger. Also, it has lower center of gravity and the Deck is a hell of a lot easier to lift than Ex-mark. My dealer tells me Ex-mark has problems with their hydro pumps with Liquid cooled engines because of the added weight associated with liquid cooled motor. This probably why Scag went with 16 CC pumps on there machines. I own both a Cub and Tiger and they are great machines. If you are looking for more compactness then get a Cub, if not then get the Tiger. But, don'y take my word or anyone else's. You should Demo and find what works for you and most important find a Good DEALER!

Rob

6. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I have tt 27l/c has 1000 hours and runs great,my only complants are rough ride(get something with suspension seat)and its not much of a striper.27 L/C is perfect for 61",I wouldn't get any less hp.

7. Flat Top Lawn

Flat Top Lawn LawnSite Member

go with the scag, we use them no problem at all.

8. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

demo them both.the new 04 exmarks have been stepped up from what they were.all the controls are on top where they can be seen better.scag has this same setup as well.but you have had good luck with scag so why change.my dealer wanted me to try out a ferris,but i have been using exmark for 10 years without a problem

9. G-father

G-father LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for all the replys.

dvmcmrhp52 – your probably right, the air cooled engine should last long enough. I just thought if I was going to sell the mower with 1500 hours it would be much more desirable with an engine that has lots of life left in it.

Equipguy – The dealer that sells exmark also sells Kubota ztr’s. After looking them over the exmark looks like it is heaver built. Kubota has really good tractors etc. but I don’t think the ztr’s are totally developed yet (imo).

rob1325 – I agree the scag sounds like it is heaver built. Do you know if the 2002 scag turf tiger has the larger wheel motors? Is there any problems with the 2002 and prior that were fixed in 2003 or 04?

Grassdaddy – I agree nothing less than a 27 for a 60 deck.

Anyone else?

10. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

G-father, I've also been demoing a lot of riders as of late. The one that impressed me the most was the Hustler Super mini Z 54" cut w/ 23 or 25 hp Kawasaki. Great little mower and does a great job holding on steep grades. Nice low center of gravity. Not only that but I'm so impressed by their customer support. The best I've found in this area; plus PJ (mowerconsultant) has been great with helping answer questions I've had about Hustler.