Looking for organic weed control

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Drew Gemma, May 12, 2008.

1. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

Is their any organic weed control products that actually work as kill the weeds and not the lawns. I have been using the organic fert and such at my home but I need weed control. I mow at 4 inches as needed I aerrate and overseed every fall. I have been using dimension in the spring 1 app only I know it is not organic but I have to do what I can. Now I need a organic weed control this fall I am gonna top dress the lawn and add Microrhyzial bacteria can't spell that. I have 80 k of turf .
  2. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Alright Drew, endo mycorrhizae is a wonderful thing, good for you looking at alternatives.

my personal opinon is that you are using much less herbicide inputs than most, I believe it is a good place to start. less inputs is fine by me

There is nothing comparable to dimension at this point in the organic realm, I wish there was, I have not found anything but digging, flaming and overseeding.

Less inputs is a good start
  3. Drew Gemma

how about post emergance control of weeds
  4. livingsoils

livingsoils LawnSite Member

Try Green Gaurdian it has worked for me.
  5. lawnsbytim

lawnsbytim LawnSite Member

Yep - 2-3 sprays of Green Guardian spaced at 7-10 day intervals, along with a single dusting of powdered lime while the lawn is still wet.
  6. Drew Gemma

where can i buy green guardian website doesn't say and what is the cost to do 80k of turf
  7. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

green gaurdian has organic post emergents? I know there is organic post emergents that are non-selective but what about selective?

Other than the left and the right hand, treegal, even though I too have found unbelievable results from them. I did notice my left hand was missing a lot more than my right though, guess it just needs more time to adjust. I am right-handed so it kind of has the advantage.
  8. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

great thing hand pulling weeds. do your self a favor and switch hands. that will improve accuracy

with one watering per week our weed problem is nonexistent, even the sod that is established is a little thirsty and it has 7-10 inch roots
  9. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

There are several sage people in the northeast associated with NOFA, if there is irrigation on site when they do a survey the next call is to the person that is in charge of that.

beep boop boop, UUH yeah can I talk to Kenny, Kenny WTF ARE YOU THINKING!!!......please come out here and adjust the irrigation, please

Make the turf work, it likes it that way and you have much better results

Its kind of like australian sheep dogs, they love to work. and then people coop them up and they can't herd and then sooner or later can't think and folks say they are too hyper, well you would be too if never saw a sheep in your life. I think I got a bit off topic

OKAY! your right, turf is nothing like australian sheep dogs
  10. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

im not sure I understand anything about what you wrote Bill, what are you talking about sage?