Looking for quality ZTR!!!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jasdebcr, Jul 6, 2007.

1. jasdebcr

jasdebcr LawnSite Member

I have read alot of threads about how well this mower and that mower cuts and how nice they ride, but what i am after is QUALITY Built! I am looking for greaseable spindles, over sized spindles, oversized spindle shafts, milled pulley's (NOT Stamped) deck gauge, is it made like a tank? :weightlifter: I like comfort but i depend on the next mower i get for a living!!!! i had been using a Ford LGT 165 with a 50" deck for 25 years!!!! i would say it is shot and done for and would like to try a ZTR. one that will last over the long haul not 5 years and then it is back to dealer. ANY HELP WOULD BE NICE.

2. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Will the mower be for personal home use or used everyday for work ? There are many great quality built machines. I'd reccomend demoing the one's you've been considering. Not all ZTR's cut well in the same state.

3. jasdebcr

jasdebcr LawnSite Member

I live in kansas, and i make a living at this so i guess commercial

4. TNT LawnCare Inc.

What choices do you have as far as dealers, dealer suppot is also a major factor when buying a Z. You want a dealer that has parts in stock or one that will get them in a day,one that will give you a loaner if your's needs repaired.

5. jasdebcr

jasdebcr LawnSite Member

we do have a hustler dealer in town, no they do not do loaners. i am willing to travel 100 or so for a quality ztr.

6. TNT LawnCare Inc.

Hustler makes a very well built mower ,they do have some cut quality issues. I dont know if they cut well in your area or not ? What models are the other LCO'S company's using.

7. jasdebcr

jasdebcr LawnSite Member

yes they are but the problem is after 800 hrs the spindle bearings start falling out and top of the deck starts to flex and make a uneven cut more like a water ripple. several of LCO's have these issues.

8. TNT LawnCare Inc.

Our new Hustler has greasable spindles ,never heard of the deck flex problem .So again what other dealers do you have ?? TORO, EXmark ,Gravely Dixon ,Walker,Scag, Hustler,Bobcat,BadBoy ???? I would demo all of them if you can ,not to mention walk thru there repair facility.

9. jasdebcr

jasdebcr LawnSite Member

we have no other dealers local. that is why i am willing to drive 100 miles for a quality ZTR. There is a farm show at the end of the month 50 miles from here at the end of the month.

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I think Scag will meet your needs....has almost all the stuff you described.