Looking For Reasonable Insurance

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by WigginsLandscaping, Jul 13, 2004.

1. WigginsLandscaping

WigginsLandscaping LawnSite Member

I know this has probably been asked many times but I really need some help here. I have put off insurance for too long now and i am ready to make the move to becoming a legit organization which means licenses and insurance to start. Can anyone tell me what the standard insurance requirements are when bidding commercial. I know "Standard" is a term that is never "Standard" however looking for an average. I can always adjust up as situations require it. Looking for specifics as far as coverage. $ Amounts. I also need workers comp. for two employees. And if possible about the going rate per year and maybe an agent or company to call that you have had good dealings with.

Thank you very much for whatever you can help me with. Hopefully next spring I will be able to do this as a full timer. Currently working full time job and landscaping after 5 and on weekends. Working till dark most nights and beginning at 6am on Sat and Sunday till dark on weekends. Starting to get too me a little. I am sure you've all been there.
  2. Droffaws

Droffaws LawnSite Member
    from KCMO

Same question here. I'm needing to get insurance, but don't really know where to begin.
  3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Check with your Local Independent Ins Agent as that is who we got to write our Liability Ins.
  4. WigginsLandscaping

I tried that already and the response is that I am not a big enough company to meet their minimum requirements or i haven't had enough time in business. I know that I have read here of companies that are being used by people on this board who "specialize" in this industry or are familiar with writing smaller policies for the Working Man. Thanks though.
  5. MMLawn

Something is wrong other than that then or they were just blowing you off, because I started Ins back when I was a 1 man LCO and it has always been through that same Inp Agent.
  6. WigginsLandscaping

Thanks though. I do appreciate it. I will call a few others here in town. If that is the case and he doesnt want my business then I am ok with that too. I will Xfer my cars, my life, my home owners away from him as well. I really hate insurance agents anyway. I always have. They remind me of car salesman. I will call a few more places though. By the way what kind of coverage do you carry. Limits that sort of thing?
  7. MMLawn

General Business Liability $1M
  8. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Try American Family Insurance. they simply do a credit check on you, and if it's not horrible, and all your paperwork is in order, you can get 1mil/2mil for right around $400 a year. this is for solo operation with no additional employees though.

they had a minimum of $350 contract, so you can get like $300,000/$600,000 for the same price as $500/1mil, or bump it up to like $383 for the 1mil/2mil, which is worth it if you ask me.

Hope this helps
  9. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Try Nationwide or Farm B. My brother in law has a custom masonry business and goes through a payroll company for his workmens comp.
  10. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi WigginsLandscaping,

Here is a quote from this post that might be helpful.