1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

looking for scag turf tiger owners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grass_cuttin_fool, Apr 10, 2004.

1. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Today didnt start very well for me or end much better. I got my tax paper filed and now Im looking at a ''z'' mower. Well 1st I called my toro dealer, the support there is fantastic. Well after 5 calls in 4 hours and I left messages to call cause I want to know about a new mower, my calls were not returned.
    Well I called the Exmark dealer and found out that a kawasaki engine is kinda hard to get in a Lazer hp, guess he has a floor full of kohlers. And the kawasaki engine is about $900 more, brings that mower to $7800. Well that kinda left a sour taste in my mouth.
    I called the John Deere dealer and asked about a 737 he had. Well it has the kawa engine and 54'' deck but he wants $8600 for it. In another post 2 others had a qoute for a lot less than that, I asked about that price and he said nooooo way, he finally came down to $7900.
    The scag dealer has a tiger cub for $5999, the others had a 52'' deck and the JD a 54'' and the scag has a 48''. How many on here has experience with the scag tiger cub?? I want to stay with a smaller ''z''. I wonder if the deck is off set to the left some to give the mower the ability to trim close flower beds and ect? All the pictures i see show the mower from the right side. Im not trying to go the cheapest route guys but $1800- $1900 seems like a big difference.
    Any help will be thanked, wayne
  2. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a Tiger Cub and I'm very please. I can get very close to edges, trees etc.
    I bought the 48" deck with the 20hp Kholer instead of the 19hp kawa, either for the same price. The 52" deck...I think was $100. more.
    dealer cost is $5395.
  3. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We have two Scag Tiger Cubs, both with the 19 Kawasaki and 48in decks. One is a year old with 283 hours the other is about a week old with 6 hours. The cut is excellent with mulching blades, there is plenty of deck overhang for trimming. They are among the best ZTR's on the market in my opinion.
  4. NBLL

NBLL LawnSite Member

I am starting my 2nd year with a 48" tiger cub with 460 hours. It's the first ztr that I have owned but I have been very pleased. The 19hp Kawasaki was standard but I got the 21hp and very glad I did. Spent the whole year last year mowing in the rain. When it is wet you can run doubles(medium lifts on the bottom and gators on top) and keep on trucking. Had a couple of belts break, both taken care of by the dealer.
  5. Tx Firefighter

Tx Firefighter LawnSite Member

I love mine!

It makes me lots of money.
  6. I owned a 52 ich tiger cub ..tough built like a tank..excellent cut..the cut compaired very well with my lazer z hp ..good machine.
  7. ddthomas2

ddthomas2 LawnSite Member

I owned a 20hp 48in Tiger Cub. It is a great machine.

I happen to prefer Dixie Choppers after I got used to them. If you have a dealer close by, check them out also.

8. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

I own one and all I have to say is they are the best machine on the market IMO. They are built like tanks.
  9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Thanx alot guys, Im gonna be getting a mower in the next week or so, prob gonna be a scag or toro, thanx for all the input