Looking for seed/sod advice

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Mike29, May 8, 2008.

1. Mike29

Mike29 LawnSite Member

My back yard receives full sun all day and is next to a large lake. After two seasons of seeding I am debating whether or not to lay sod. Obviously, if I laid sod, I would lay zoisa, due to the heat and full sun. I have a medium sized yard. Like any home owner, I conveniently put down Scotts seed, and ended up with the usual results; weeds and bare spots.

I guess my question is how do I prepare the soil, with weeds and grass intact for laying sod? And, How would I prepare the same soil with weeds and some grass intact if I laid better seed? Would simply tilling the area be good enough?

Would a good heat tolerant and full sun seed work> if so what kind? Same goes for sod as my other option.

I am in St. Louis if it helps. Thanks in advance.

2. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

It would be quite easy, (and frankly, somewhat fun :rolleyes:) for me to sit here and bash Scotts for their "crummy" seed.
    But the fact-of-the matter is.....the problem is quite likely NOT in their seed.

More often than not; seeding failures could be the result of any of the combination of the following :

a) very poor soil preparation
    b) failure to prevent competing weeds & turf from interfering w/ germination
    c) erosion issues (both water and wind)
    d) lack of proper moisture during germination process (lack of water)

If you're dead set on laying zoysia sod...I'm not an authority on that as I'm in S. Ohio and this is fescue / bluegrass country here.

But I will tell you that it's a general practice to spray the existing vegetation 1st with a "Roundup"-type product, that doesn't have any type of advertised 'quick kill' along with it ('quick kill' often means the Roundup also contains something like "Diquat", an aquatic herbicide that could hurt the sod roots as their trying to "root in".... and /or your seed's chances of "coming up" !!!)

How did you prepare the soil before...when you simply used Scotts seed ?
    Did you "hand rake", and then sow seed ?
    Did you "aerate and seed" ?
    Did you use a slice-seeder ?
    Immediately after seeding, were competing, smothering weeds a noticeable problem, particularly the crawling, viney ones like chickweed, henbit & clover ?
    The rest of the questions are obvious....:)