1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Looking for some advise

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CrystalCreek, Jan 22, 2008.

1. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

This is my first post and let me start by saying this site has been so helpful. I have been viewing it for a few months and finally joined. Thanks to all the pros for their advise and wisdom.:clapping::clapping:

I am stuck in a position.;) I work full time at the local Power Company. Steady job with some benefits. It is decent pay for what I do, but my heart has always been for the lawns. I have been cutting since I was 13, and started working for local guys both big and small when I was 15. I am now 26, single, and living at home. I have a route of about 25, and still growing work my full time job 40 plus hours, and still assist other landscapers when time permits. I went legal last year with full insurance and all the fixin's.

Here is the catch. The benefits at my job keep getting cut, the hours keep getting longer with more time away from my passions, and my heart is growing tired of the power company. I am thinking of leaving in the spring and going full time. I feel it is now or never. As mentioned earlier, I really have no responsibilities to anyone else. I have built a large inventory of equipment and supplies. I have a decent amount of money saved up. I should be able to survive for a few years until the business gets up to full steam.

Am I insane???:confused:

Sorry for the long post. Please let me know what you feel.
  2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

Welcome to LawnSite. Was your question asking if you are insane?

I dont think so, like you said your client list keeps growing. Aslong as you keep up the good work, do some advertising to get your name out there a bit more you should be fine. Get magnets or vinyls for your truck, business cards, pass out doorhangers. you have the equipment, and the knowledge. Maybe try going p/t, work a few days a week.
  3. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

You're in better position to start a co. then anyone I ever heard of.
  4. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes. Everyone tells me that I should stay even thou I'm not happy. I am looking to leave.

I just wanted the feeling's from some people that have been doing this for a while.
  5. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

Why stay if you cant stand it. you have money in the bank as a back-up and 25 clients already. you got a better start then most people do when they start their business.
  6. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

I agree.It sounds like you have every thing in place. Just understand how much you will make with these 25 and have a good budget and you will know how many customers you will need to survive. Good Luck
  7. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

Jump in both feet you have nothing to lose if you have a good plan you'll be successful.
  8. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

go for it..............good luck
  9. jdmcat

jdmcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

think about it this way... if you lost your job with the power company for any reason, could you survive on those 25 lawns alone? since you're living at home (i assume that means with your parents?), chances are you could, and if so, i say GO FOR IT! you would be in a much better position than almost any other guy out there trying to start up, especially with money in the bank! then you'll have a ton of time to add customers and surpass what you were making before. and you are already licensed and insured? what's stopping you!?!
  10. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee LawnSite Senior Member

hey i see where ur comin from im only 17 and i just started this year but i have also been workin after school and in the summer for a huge company out where i live but this year im braken off and starting my own thing with customers i aquired with my hard work and ive almost got more work than i can handle but u sound like ur in a good possition just keep it up:usflag::usflag::clapping: