Looking for some garage ramps

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MJStrain, Aug 27, 2002.

1. MJStrain

MJStrain LawnSite Member

I'm looking for some sort of setup to drive a rider mower up into the air so as to facillitate working underneath the mower. Any suggestions ?:angel:

2. drobson

drobson LawnSite Member

I can't think of anything other than car ramps to drive up on unless you just make something bigger, but what about a motorcyle/ATV hydraulic jack? They recently started selling them at Sears and they are reasonably priced (just over $100 I think). I know a couple of people that bought them for their ATV's or Bikes and they love them.

/Dan

3. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

I tried some regular car ramps to drive my Toro Z up on. They had too high a slope.

I then bought some low clearance ramps at Walmart. The angle is lower and as a result, don't raise the mower as high, but they work great for blade changes, etc.

They were about $30.

I wonder if the motorcycle / atv lifts would fit under the mower and lift on points on the mower that won't damage the deck?

If so, they would be a good idea.

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

What about a Jungle Jack? I guess that would lift up a deck on a ZTR. They're over a hundred bucks though. A floor jack would be a little better because you could use it for other things than to just lift up the deck.

5. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

on my open & enclosed trailers i open the rear ramp (door) and place car ramps at the hinge end facing the inside, then drive the machine out, onto the ramps.

the angle of the trailer ramp opposed to the angle of the car ramps gives plenty of room underneath....

on one of my trailers, i have slide out ramps, i slide them out halfway and then drive the mower out on them.

i want to make something similair on my big trailer for on site service.

it's an open heavy equipment trailer, i was thinking of a pair of folding ramps on the side about 15% that would give me plenty of room underneath.

i even drew out a stop chock that flipped and latched as the front tires ran it over to secure the machine.

maybe i can get caught up and fabricate it this winter.