looking for some ideas for this account.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by lawnbridge, Jan 8, 2008.

1. lawnbridge

lawnbridge LawnSite Member

This bank has had a guy hired that has not done a dang tihing for a year except add mulch to the soil. I was wanting you guys opinion on what to plant. It has good soil, irrigation, faces the east and we are in planting zone 8.

2. aperfectlawn

aperfectlawn LawnSite Member

flowers, crepe myrtles, something that will bring color
  3. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Id sell them on a complete redesign. Loose the big trees, they block the building and entrance, do some new plant beds, some flowering plants, maybe a hedge of low shrubs in the front by the sidewalk.

4. lawnbridge

lawnbridge LawnSite Member

Appreciate the comments
  5. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

i'd keep the tree, shrubs need to go... would be good to trip the tree to even it out though
  6. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Under the tree could use a varigated ground cover to brighten the area.......or use with shrubs for the same effect.
  7. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I will give my suggestion for the island along side the road. I did an area just like this for a business in my area and it turned out beautiful. It is a high profile area and has had many inquiries.
    First start out with an equal spacing of some form of a crepe myrtle (white variety). Try to use an odd number like 3, 5 or 7. Don't over do it. Then go back and use a combination of carrisa holly and knock out roses (red variety) to fill in underneath. I alternated the carrisa's and knockouts. In my area the knockouts will go dormant around Thanksgiving and the dark green of the carrisa's will carry it through until early spring. You can expect the knockouts to bloom from early spring until around Thanksgiving and maybe even longer since you are in Texas.
  8. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I did a job right before Christmas which included three knockout roses. They still had blooms on them.
  9. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Yes so far they have turned out to be a great addition to plant choices. According to the nursery they are very resistant to pest and do not require the maintenance like a normal rose we usually think of. Then when the foliage starts to go dormant we give them a heavy trimming to maintain the same basic growth pattern for the next year.