1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Looking for some insight on hiring additional crew..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Oct 15, 2007.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

This year we were so freakin' busy, almost too busy for the size crew we have. It's basically me, another main guy and a couple of part, part timmers. I'm tired of searching for a buddy or two when we have larger projects to do. We are currently mowing aprox. 60 customer's and a condo complex, BTW I work 7-3 full-time at another job and we do this Mon-Sat. We have it down to a science but also turning down and loosing a few due to no time. Most importantly, I'm tired of calling buddies to see if they want some extra hours. Its probably been asked in here a few times but Oh well,lol. When you first hired another guy or two did you find your self scrambling for work or was it easier to find it due to more time you had. And most of all was it worth it?
  2. MWHC

MWHC LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

Get ready to hire lots of people. It's different everwhere but around here you may get one good one for every twenty you have to weed through. I will let you in on a little secret ( The tallent pool is REALLY shallow ).The headaches and frustration seem to multiply when you start hiring.

THRIFTY LawnSite Member
    from (913)

Do you not make enough to quit you 7-3 job and expand even more?
  4. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

NO! lol. The benifets are too nice to quit even though I would love to do this all the time more so than now. I just dont know if maybe I should scale back or take more of a plunge. I guess the question is hiring DECENT people made your life easier or harder. I hate turning down jobs because, (A) I like doing it and (B) I hate turning down money,lol.