Looking for some wisdom

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dieseltech, Mar 8, 2012.

1. dieseltech

dieseltech LawnSite Senior Member

Well guys, im starting to gain more customers from my original selects. Im now feeling the need to expand my fleet as well. As of now i have 2 toro z master 52" a 2 cycle lawnboy and all of my handhelds. As you all know this past winter was far from a slammer and what i needed to free up some cash for spring purchases. What im looking at are two options. 1 is i lay down about 4 grand on a 34" stander to help with tighter areas and gated yards. 2 is to buy a new 21" as my lawnboy is just not cutting it anymore. Poor cut quality these days and alot of use. I need something to increase productivity while keeping the quality of work that i am known for with my customers. I dont want a walk behind other than a new 21 if i go that route. Should i just lay down all of my extra cash on that stander in hopes of a good season and increase my productivity that way or do i grab a new 21 and hold off on the stander untill a later date this summer or possibly before next season. Who knows i may be able to snag both with a good season but which one for now? Thanks guys
    Crm
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. R&MLawnServices

R&MLawnServices LawnSite Member

3. dieseltech

Those never really crossed my mind... I do really like the design of the new exmark commercial 21 which would be my top pick
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. LawnMan19

LawnMan19 LawnSite Gold Member

I would go the 21'' route, Brand wise Honda, Toro, Exmark. I know these are all real good mowers.

5. BestImpressions99

BestImpressions99 LawnSite Senior Member

Honestly yes you'll be looking at spending triple the amount for the stand on but you'll also (safe to say) triple your productivity if not more with the stander. Unless you're solely condos and customers that require 21" mowers, you're losing productivity.

6. LawnMan19

LawnMan19 LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, but with a smaller stand on rutting becomes an issue quickly.

7. dieseltech

Really im torn...i can scrape up the money for the stander and have the cash for the 21 now... I have 8 gas stations that i picked up and most have small medians and tight areas in between fences and buildings. Those are the ones i need one for now and have a few other places i can use a smaller mower im sure if i think more about the other properties. I understand that with a stander over a 21 it will be more productive...but do i need it? Another option i guess would be to buy a new 21 and look for a used stander to get me by for the season to see how it plays out. I am going to a large used equipment sale at the end of the month and could look for a stander in the 2500 range or so. I will not however buy a used 21 as i like them new. Maybe the best solution? Any opinions
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. dieseltech

Never thought about it that way...anyone have this problem with a 36" or less stander. I will be looking to get either a new 34" lesco or used wright 36"
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I think I would look into the the TORO Timemaster 30" walkbehind. Productivity would go up, just stock up on a few parts just in case. But if it holds up well after 1 year, you've not lost anything really. The cut quality looks good in the videos I've seen too. Lets face it times are getting tough and we are all cutting corners looking for timesavers. The stander would be nice too.

10. dieseltech

Yes times are tough...but honestly i dont know that i can lay down and buy one of the timemasters that have yet to prove themselves. My business is small, growing, yet doesnt have the ability yet to be a test mule. I want and need something that i can count on day in and day out and just dont feel that that machine is it. Yes a stander would be nice as ive always wanted to try one. Just looking for the smartest option. Im sure i will make the right decision but like to hear opinions from others who have been there as well.
    Posted via Mobile Device