1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Looking For Someone To Critique My Business Plan And Also Answer Some Questions

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Kris@PrecisionLawnCare, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Kris@PrecisionLawnCare

Kris@PrecisionLawnCare LawnSite Member

First off, I'd like to thank everyone here at lawnsite.com, this forum has been extreemly helpful and informative.

I should probably introduce myself, as this is also my first post.
    The name is Kris, I'm 17 and a Junior in High School. I live in central Minnesota.
    I've been mowing the neighborhood since I was 14, along the lines of 8 different accounts.
    I am very business oriented, taken just about every business course offered at my HS already and can't get enough.:D
    Well last month I left my passion of tournament paintball to pursue other things. Needless to say it yielded a decent amount of money after everything was gone and sold...
    This has given me an opportunity to start my own business, and the lawn care industry has spiked my interest as I've had a few years of experience under my belt and I enjoy it, oddly enough.

My first step was to build a business plan and put all my thoughts down on paper. So after a few weeks of staring at the computer and some long nights, I finally finished the rough draft of my BP.

Which brings me to the reasoning behind this post. I'm looking for someone, or a few, on this forum to look over my business plan and inspect it. Sharing their thoughts with me and to just insure that I'm headed in the right direction with everything.
    I'd like for those who I share my plan with to be qualified, meaning someone whose been in the industry for quite some time and is willing to help a young guy out.

The file is rather large and it'll need to be viewed with Microsoft Word, so what I'll do is pm those interested an attachment of the business plan.

I also have some questions:

1. I've been doing a little follow up on walk behind mowers and believe they are probably the best suiting for my business. I'm looking to purchase (1) 36" WB and (1) 48" WB Mower, preferibly new or very slightly used, although I've only got a budget of around $5000 to purchase both mowers with. I've found several new WB mowers online that look like great choices within my price range. Such as the "Quick" Brand of walk behinds, found at www.betteroutdoorproducts.com
    I'm wondering if these would be a good selection of a mower, because I do no believe it is a mainstream brand, meaning parts and service may be harder to find...
    Or if I should look into purchasing two used WBs that are of a mainstream brand such as Exmark etc.

You'll probably suggest looking into local dealerships but I have already, and I've found nothing too appealing and usually the mowers are quite abit overpriced to what I can find online.

2. I'm going into this with a partner and a long time friend of mine, I'm aware partnerships often end up in disaster and sometimes break friendships. But I'm pretty confident in my partners ability to contribute to the company and for us to work together. What I'm wondering is what legal forms do we need to complete to establish ourselves as a small business and to qualify for a Business Account at a bank etc.

3. In a partnership, how do I qualify for taxes etc? What exactly will I be taxed on? My uncle is a CPA, would it be wise to just hand all the receipts etc at the end of the year to him and let him take care of it?

Thats all I've got for now, I'm certain I'll think of a few more questions pretty soon to post up. Thanks in advance for all the help, I appreciate it!

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Your uncle should be able to guide you as how to set up your business, and deal with taxes. I would run it all by him first at least....whether or not you want him to be your CPA, or vise versa, is up to the two of you :laugh: Until you're 18 you really can't set up a business on your own though.

I have never used a Better Outdoor machine but they seem to get good reviews. They are quite a bit cheaper, as they don't go thru a middleman (dealer) I'm curious as to what you saw online as far as prices, as pretty much all the other manufacturers sell only thru dealers. Prices vary from dealer to dealer of course.

As for having a partner...you're aware of the risks involved. I think its a good thing IF the 2 (or more) partners complement each other...meaning say one guy is a great salesman, another great with the day to day operations, another maybe is a solid mechanic. If you have 2 guys each in 50/50, and they are both just friends that like to mow, almost inevitably the partnership will fall apart. Each partner will start to feel the other is not pulling their weight. Maybe consider a 60/40 split or more...
  3. Kris@PrecisionLawnCare

Hoolie- Yeah, I'll run my business plan by him hopefully sometime during thanksgiving if I have a chance and see what he could do for me.

So being that I'm 17, I'll have to have my dad put everything under his name in the beginning. But once I turn 18 in august, he can transfer all the rights to me right?

As for the partner situation, yeah we seem to compliment eachother rather well. I'm the technical guy that deals with all the accounting stuff and human relations, and hes the maintenance guy that will service our equipment, and we'll both service accounts together.

Thanks for the input.
  4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

VERY BAD IDEAL......

dont put your dad on the spot like that....

I'm sure that he has more to loose than you.

he can be sewed if you do this. or rather you will be putting him in the position where he could be sued and loose everything.
  5. Kris@PrecisionLawnCare

Okay. So if being a minor is going to be a problem registering as a small business, how would I go about that without involving my father?
    We will be covered with liability insurance...
  6. Kris@PrecisionLawnCare

I made a mistake in the first post.
    I said if anyone was interested in critiquing my business plan that I would PM (private message) them on this forum. But I just realised that this forum doesn't have PMs.
    So instead I'll email my business plan to those who would like to review it.

THRIFTY LawnSite Member
    from (913)

This forum has PMs......
  8. Pro-Turf  LLC

Pro-Turf LLC LawnSite Member

kris let me know how to contact you

edit - you can't post an email address at the site. Thanks, Mike
  9. Kris@PrecisionLawnCare

It does..? lol well I haven't seemed to figure out quite how yet then lol

Proturf- Email coming your way within the hour or so.
  10. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

once you have been a registered member for 10 days and have made 10 posts the PM feature will become available...best option would be a cell phone or another number to reach you