1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Looking for SPECIFIC numbers on flyers, etc.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by eruuska, Oct 9, 2004.

1. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Okay, here's the deal. I'm not in the biz yet, but am going to be starting up in 2005. By nature I'm a very pragmatic, practical person. I want the most bang for the buck and I'm not afraid to invest time and money into a project or equipment if it will pay off down the road.

As I see it, the biggest initial hurdle I face is picking up clients. Again, I want the most bang for the buck, and I don't want to have to reinvent the wheel. I go back and forth in my mind whether to use flyers, door hangers, or whatever else comes out of my head. I want to use the most effective method of snagging customers that I can.

What I'm asking for is SPECIFIC numbers on effectiveness of flyers, door hangers, etc. For example "I put out X door hangers, got Y calls which yielded Z new customers." Maybe elaborate on whether you used color, glossy paper, single sided or both sides. Whatever you think made a difference.

On a related note, I think I've decided that I'm going to make sure I saturate adjacent areas, rather than trying different areas around me. I live in a fairly rural area, but near a town of about 2800 households, and near two other towns with about 1000 households each. Not a whole lot of professional LCO's, but I do know of a few kids who do it on a part time basis. Saturating adjacent areas will keep drive time between jobs to a minimum, and just make daily life more efficient.

Any thoughts?

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Seems the general rule of thumb with flyers is to expect a 1% response. I got less than that, but I had my flyers distributed by a company, along with a bunch of other flyers. But well worth it for $25 per 1000.

I can't remember exact numbers, but I probably signed up two-thirds of the estimates I did. If your pricing is fair, you should do pretty well.

My flyers were basic, black ink on yellow paper. Wife designed them on the computer. Rather than spend extra money on fancy flyers, I'd spend a little extra to make a nice little package to leave with the estimate. Maybe a little background info on your company, possibly a photo of your setup, etc.
  3. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

I used florescent yellow paper with black ink. You get about a 1-3% calll back.
    But to get the best response in the are of 5% call back you need to have some kind of "HOOK". ex. BAIT and SWITCH, 1st cut free, 50% off first cut, 50% off first months bill, discount only good till next month, or offer a free service that doesn't take much time to do and cost's you 0. People love to see the word FREE it makes there eyes water. Alot of LCO's around here offer first cut FREE . Make sure you have your # real big and center every thing out so it aint so harsh on the eyes. Make sure you record your results so you know which ones worked the best. Don;t give up because I just had someone call me from and old flyer that i had passed out 7 months ago. People love to hold on to your flyers for ever. We did a fun experiment with one set of flyers , it said something like this,
    Let us cut your lawn for FREE.
    Call now to get your first cut FREE!
  4. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

You gave us only half of the story here. How many mows did they have to sign up for,to get the first mow free?
  5. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

They didn't have to sign anything because, we dont do contracts for residential. My contract for residential is a simple HAND SHAKE. The ones that worked the best were the BAIT AND SWITCH. I cut down on my passing out of flyers, because i am to busy lately. Im trying to con my little brother into passing out them for me for a little bit of cheese.
  6. z_clark

z_clark LawnSite Senior Member

My response to door hangers was 2.2 percent. (many new neighborhoods)

From the estimates I gave:

Sign up rate was 95 percent if I could get them to set a time to meet face to face on their property and discuss what I could perform and pricing.

Sign up rate was 40 percent for those that did not have the time to meet, so I just left the estimate on the door.

I also tried stapling florescent slips of paper on my door hangers in the middle of the season offering "mulching $65 per cubic yard", or "Pruning special in July". I did not put out too many, and don't have exact numbers, but it was probably a 1 % success rate +-.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

At my old job my boss tried various times to offer free cuts and discounts and the like. Seemed like the type of customer this attracted didn't stay a customer long, they were just looking for a deal. When the deal ran out they cancelled and went on their way.

Personally, and I don't have any evidence to verify this, I just feel like if you make a decent flyer that gets the pertinent info across that's good enough. The vast majority of your flyers will go straight to the garbage can. I think some people tend to read them more than others, as long as yours doesn't look like it was designed by a 12-year old you should be OK. Just one man's opinion.
  8. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Bait and switch? Please explain? So, you never give them the free cut, eh? How'd that work out? What did you switch them to?
  9. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi eruuska,

I think you would get a very similar response % from direct mailings your flyers as well.
  10. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

I think I'm going to go with both of these. There is a direct mailing house in town that sends out an advertising flyer every couple of months. I'm going to catch the one he's sending out in late January.

As far as flyers go, I'm probably going to design my own and get it printed in one color on glossy paper, and take it around town, starting in the uppity subdivisions. :)

Thanks for all the help, I hope it works.