looking for suggestions

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigal, Aug 15, 2005.

1. bigal

bigal LawnSite Member
    from wv

hello there, new to the forum, like what ive seen so far. i am looking to buy a ztr for next year. there is a hustler dealer close to me. looked at the minifastrak and fastrak. think im going to go with the 18/44 fastrak. i like the warranties and especially the price $3600 for the brigss engine and $4400 for honda engine. are these good prices?? i do all residential stuff now and really want to expand next season. im also looking for suggestions for the best way of advertising. door to door? mail? thanks for any suggestions.

2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

sorry not to be rude, but you dont know how to advertise or the price of mowers with 15 years in business, do you know you are looking at residential models not commercial.......??????

3. bigal

bigal LawnSite Member
    from wv

i have been mowing for that long, but nothing on a large scale. started out helping my neighbor mow a few yards and just kept them and added 1or 2 here and there. never looked to expand until now. maybe i should change my profile. yeah, i know the fastrak is listed as a residential mower and not commercial. i just wanted some feedback on it. right now the price is right for me.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You're looking in the erong direction. get something that is going to last. Just because it has the brand name (whether it be Toro, Hustler, Exmark, etc.) does not mean that it is built for what you are seeking it to do. Will it cut grass? Sure. Maneuverable because they are a "Z"? Sure. Will you wear it out because it is a good brand name but a light duty/ occasional use model? Sure.
    You are far better off to go with a decent walk behind (budget wise) than one of thee types machines, because you will be changing pumps, wheel motors, bearings, and all sorts of other stuff shortly up the road. These machines are NOT BUILT to run like that, even though they look like are and strongly resemble the comercial models. The commercial models are categorized that for a reason...it's not just a word they hang on the machine to get a better price. Do yourself a favor, and do it right. You can get yourself a decent commercial walkbehind and I guarantee you you will cut more grass with less breakdowns than the machines you're describing. You need something that is built to cut grass all day - everyday. While you may not be running it that much, especially at first, you will STIL not be wearing this out like you will the machines that you are looking into.

5. bigal

bigal LawnSite Member
    from wv

thanks for the advise joe. i had been looking at w/b before the hustler. wasnt set on a brand or size. i like the 48" deck size. any suggestions on belt driven vs hydro. i realize the biggest difference is price and i understand that, but is there a whole lot of difference in handling? ive always just used a regular riding mower and push, never used a larger w/b. thanks

6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

nothing wrong with a belt drive, not as easy to operate, id look in the local paper or trading post for a used model to start, ive heard nice things about the quick 36 also which is a sponsor here.... good luck , let us know what you find...

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well for all that why not buy the Toro proline 48" model 30197 15hp Kohler gear-drive for US $2,800 with a proslide for another 200, set you back 3 grand and you're done because I outrun home-owner model ztr's with that exact same wb... It weighs less, is very fast and quite agile, and is far more versatile. And yes, you need a riding attachment or you will not be able to operate it in 4th or 5th gear.
    Here's a pic of mine, thou mine has a velke (US $300.00)... You can find a used one for around a thousand, I have a 7-year old as well, same model - these babies are BAD and with the T-bar you don't worry about operator fatigue due to popeye-arm-forming pistol grips.

With this mower, I cut yards UP to an acre in size and I can cut 10/day sustained while record is 12, so if all I got is 5-6 yards for the day, I sleep until noon LOL

[​IMG]

8. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

The difference between belt & hydro is significant. It really is. I own both & the hydro is way, way quicker & way, way easier to handle. Once you use a hydro you'll never want to use a belt drive again. Belt drives will helop to tire you out during the day. Cause fatigue.

Belt drive mowers are nowhere near as quick as a hydro. Also, belt drives have a "power assist" when in reverse. They don't just back up on their own when you're on turf. You have to pull the machine around. When you're on the street or a sidewalk level & smooth they back themselves up a little bit. Hydro's on the otherhand, you can back them up a hill in reverse with just the hand controls.

Might not sound like much but I guarantee when you're out for a full day of cutting when it's 105 you'll feel the difference.

Go demo the two types before you buy & you'll see what I mean.

9. bigal

bigal LawnSite Member
    from wv

thanks for the responses fellas. ive been looking on ebay at differenct walk behinds this afternoon just to get ideas. as for the toro gear drive, same principle as the hydro's? or different?

10. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

The toro pictured is a belt driven mower. And I'm sure it's quite a grass cutting machine. No doubt. My belt cuts grass just fine too.......but it can't hold a candle to the hydrolic driven mower. No belt drive can. Do a demo of each type mower, on grass, and feel the difference. You will see instantly. You'll spend more on a hydro.......but it's worth it. I bought belt drive brand new as a back up to the hydro because of available funds at the time.