Looking for the right ZTR.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by advantage landscaping, Oct 18, 2007.

1. advantage landscaping

advantage landscaping LawnSite Member

So I have been looking around a lot for used ZTRs and have found that to get what I want is a little out of my price range. I am looking at $3500 or less - maybe a few hundred more for a really good deal.

The machine is for next year and will be used minimally. I am looking at having 16-20 accounts, most larger than average (1/2 acre and up). I already have a Scag 36'' wb which does my current 5 clients very well.

It just struck me today - If I am only mowing 20 hrs/week do I REALLY need to go commercial? Could I go with a residential Cub Cadet like 50"? I know they are not made as well but for 20 hrs per week do I really need to go with a much costlier alternative?

If I can't I'll continue my search for a walker in my price range....

2. Butterfly

Butterfly LawnSite Member

Stick with what you got, find your nich, and build up from that. Don't purchase unless it can be used at all time. Anything sitting is a waste of money.

3. advantage landscaping

Yes I know that, I am wondering if it's a wise idea...

4. verant

verant LawnSite Senior Member

good advice. listen to him

5. advantage landscaping

I know you guys are worried about usage time - I'm just wondering if a residential can stand up to light, and I mean light, commercial use. On second thought it will probably be used for 16 hours or LESS per week. I am just wondering if a residential could stand up to that in the first place... The price difference is so great if I don't need to go full commercial I am not going to. I am looking at a Cub Cadet residential rider 50" deck, Kawi 22 hp engine.

6. verant

verant LawnSite Senior Member

do u plan to grow in the near future. if u are, i wouln't even consider that cub, its very low end. i would stick with a solid walk behind for now until u get the money

7. advantage landscaping

8. advantage landscaping

No I am not planning on growing past those 20 customers give or take a few. I am in school and doing this as a part time in H.S., and hopefully through college when I get there... I don't have the money now to invest in 5k+ in machinery as it would scrap my budget. I just want to know if a cub would be able to take 15 or so hours a week...

9. advantage landscaping

The cub is 3k....... with bagger and tax I'm assuming $3400.

Now I could try to find an exmark z with some use on it but they are still SOO expensive for my tiny budget.

10. Lordtimothy

Lordtimothy LawnSite Member

My 2 cents worth is stick with your walkbehind unless you plan on going all the way in. Know it might be tough with school but think of the exerise, work through next year with 16-20 yards then should have enough to buy a good one.

$3400 buys basically a piece of crap. I have had a lot of experence with both the low end and high end mowers. Once you hit the $5000 plus there is a very noticable difference in quality and life span of the mowers. Take the three thousand you are planning on spending and either invest it for the next year or roll it into buisness. Nice to have cash on hand when great deals come along.

When I was a LCO did 20 plus yards with a 36'' YazooKees walkbehind for several years. Was nice trim, tan and in great shape but now........ well lets not discuss that.

Timo