Looking for University Research

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Pythium, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Pythium

Pythium LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

Our company is starting an organic lawn care division. I am very excited to start this as I see the trend towards "Green" in area. I have done ALOT of reading at this site and many others. What I am having trouble locating is University research on the benefits of Organic Products. I believe in the benfits I have read, but my boss want "University Proof" we can show poetential customers about our programs. Any links anyone has would be appreciated.

I will most likely be frequenting this forum for advice and input. So far I am convinced this is the way to go. Thanks!

2. Keegan

Keegan LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

you probably will have a hard time finding university studies on organics because the chemical companies will help fund their studies with the school.

3. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We deal with our land grant university on a regular basis, and we value their research. Below is a link that is typical for every year since. Iowa State always includes several "natural" organic fertilizers in their turfgrass studies. Hope none of you "natural" organic guys get mad, cuz the highest marks were not attained by "natural" organic fertilizer. Then there's the prob of loading a fert spreader with fifty pounds in it .....instead of 20 pounds. :cry:

http://www.hort.iastate.edu/turfgrass/pubs/turfrpt/1997/fertrials/KBfert.pdf

4. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

I am just getting back from travel but have extensive peer review and university information, some good some bad, just like the chemical companies, some systems work really well and other s need a push, even other fugitaboutit. I will try to post some this weekend, right now I am going to get a cold beer and put my feet up

a couple things that would help a lot is where are you located, what type of soils do you typically encounter, what is the typical grass mix and what is the typical soil organic matter in your area

5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Botany is Botany. Peer reviewed or not you need to know what makes sense and what is simply BS.

Understand Botany and the 'opinions' of growing something as simple as grass - becomes miniscule by comparison.

When you climb to vegetbles and grains for production - you need to - stop and think. Don't doubt your common sense and you will be fine.

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Compost does a soil good! Find a good source of compost, and forget the rest.

7. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Very good, diplomatic answer Bill. American relies on the "land grant university studies" a lot, and my first inclination is always to fire back with a negative answer first.

8. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson LawnSite Senior Member

ICT Bill posted a nice easy to read study from Olds College the other day. Olds College is in Alberta and is highly respected.

9. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I suspect my land grant univrsity may not be up on natural organic fertilizers (for turf) compared to other universites. Also, the soil that ISU has at their research station is very good soil --- not clay, etc. I posted this info cuz that's what the original question asked for, but I would like to see more info (from other universities) too.

We use "synthetic" organic fertilizers in our liquid app's. We like the results, and we can include as many as seven needed micronutrients (according to over 200 soil samples taken in our area). I don't know of any granular fert that includes this many micro's.

We have tried "natural" organic fert on a very limited basis (so far) that phasthound sent to us. Nice results. (Thanks phasthound) :usflag:

10. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks Larry, try some more, you'll see even better results when using more than one bag once :)

That same product, Nutrients PLUS 16-2-3 is going head to head with a traditional 28-5-12 in a 3 year land grant university study. At the end of the first year there was no statistical difference in color or quality. But wait, there's more! In all trials the applied N in the 16-2-3 was 1/3 to 1/2 less than the 28-5-12. Same green, less N. Less N = less cost, less runoff and leaching, less energy used in production. More organic matter = reduced water usage, increased disease suppression, lower inputs.