1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Looking for work

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by garyt, Mar 16, 2006.

1. garyt

garyt LawnSite Member

I am new to the lawn care business and am only planning to do it part time.

I have started passing out door hangars of which I have done around 200 so far without a single call.

I have had an ad in the paper for two weeks now with only 1 call. Someone wanting me to clean trees and brush off the side of a hill.

I'm still planning on doing more hangars but I expected to at least have had the 1% call return on what I have done. Perhaps it's still too early yet. I'm in Southern Indiana and it's getting close to cutting time.

How is everyone else fairing so far? Are you new to the business?

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Welcome to the world of lawn care,it will take you 5 years to get your name out if you work mabye sooner.
  3. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Hey Gary,

It may still be a little early. How don't know what the weather has been like there. Here it wa almost 80 the other day and now it is down in the 30's -50's. When it is chilly many people are not thinking about their lawn.
  4. echovalley

echovalley LawnSite Member
    from CT

It is still early,we are in 4 papers in 14 towns[about 90k people].One call in the last two weeks.
  5. kosty

kosty LawnSite Member

to many lawn care providers, i learned the hard way spending 7500 on worthless crap. just dont spend alot on equipment till u get a lot of accts to pay for it.
  6. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I put out 400 flyers, 1 call that wanted mulch dropped off. I said no. The snow that just came here along with 35 degree temps didn't help the return. I'm going to wait until we get quite a few days in a row of 50 degree weather.
  7. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I don't understand why you would go through the trouble to put out flyer's and than turn down work. You have to get your foot in the door somehow.
  8. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

While you are out look for properties that need attention and go introduce yourself. My 1st year that is all i did and got great results. I'm in my 5th year now and turn down work all the time. just remember when someone calls for a cleanup, mulch beds , trim shrubs,etc. get in your truck and go get it done. The main thing in this business is you have to make a name for yourself.
    Also ,if your truck is'nt lettered get it done. It will pay for itself. Good luck to you.
  9. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

They wanted mulch dropped off at the house. I don't have the equipment to do this or any truck that dumps. I would have to go to the mulch yard, have them dump the mulch onto my truck & trailer, shovel it all off do and do multiple loads back and forth to the supply yard. Doesn't really make sense.
  10. jetcleaned

jetcleaned LawnSite Member

thats what u got to do when doing mulch buddy