Looking for Zone 4 conifer ideas.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by gardenpro, Feb 2, 2003.

1. gardenpro

gardenpro LawnSite Member
    from -

Hello, I'm looking for a short list of conifers that are smaller, and narrower than what is in right now. I am pulling out red cedars and douglas firs, they are forest giants planted up against the buildings.
    I hoped mountain hemlock would work, but they are sold only up to 3-4 feet due to their slow growth.
    Picea omorika will work. Chameacyparis nootkatensis will not due to it's wide spread.
    Any reccomendations would be appreciated! Thanks.
    Is there a particular variety of Colarado blue spruce that stays narrow and dwarf by chance??

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

www.hort.uconn.edu

check this site out. my college put it up. you can select a variety of plants etc, and read all the info about them.

3. mdb landscaping

4. gardenpro

gardenpro LawnSite Member
    from -

That's a great program. It is definately more based for the easterner, I think. Most trees fitting the bill are pines and junipers, and pines are much too soft for our heavy snows. Thanks, I did get Picea glauca up. May be too big, but it's a start.

5. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Sure there is ...You being in BC you have tons of nice stuff. Go to your local wholesaler or garden center for some help.

6. lawn dawg

lawn dawg LawnSite Member

mdb;

Thanks for the tip regarding the site from UConn. It is the little things such as this that make it enjoyable to browse LawnSite every day. :D

7. mdb landscaping

no problem. i find that site very useful, and it makes it great because you dont need to know everything about the plant you are searching for. just type in whether you want a shade/sun, and height and color, and it narrows down the search. granted most plants on there are from CT, but many are adapted to the other states you are all from.