looking for ztr that mows well in wet grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 2 clowns mowing, Dec 8, 2006.

1. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

any success with ztr's that cut wet grass and won't clump up? i want to buy one next spring that i can use first thing every morning while the grass is still wet. 60 or 72" decks and plenty of horse power. :weightlifter:

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Look into scag with there new style deck.

3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

From what i've seen and heard the John Deere 7 iron II decks are hard to beat.

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

All of the above..............

5. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I run Cub Cadet 60" and Bunton 61" and they work really well

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Goats:) :weightlifter: :)

7. DixieFerris

DixieFerris LawnSite Senior Member

John is right....NO mower no matter what mows great in the early morning wetness. YOu have to scrape the decks, go slowers, double cut, etc to compensate. They all work great for the first yard of the morning, then clump. Don't let anyone on here lead you into thinking otherwise.

8. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

We cut with sharp blades with very little clumps sometimes double cutting.

9. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

I've had no problems with the Hustler XR7 deck, except when I encounter a little crabgrass- that seems to clump, unlike the bluegrasses and fesuces. It does a great job with medium and finely bladed grasses in my area under almost any conditions. Like I said, it's the wet and coarse textured grasses that give me any bit of trouble.

10. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

The only complaint I have with my Grasshoppers is they clump and spit grass globs early in the damp mornings. My buddy let me try his Scag with the Velocsity deck. Boy was I amaized at the difference. Very little clumping and very little build up under the deck. I did not even drive behind the shrubs to stop the blades, because nothing was going to fall out. Out of all the new decks, I believe Scag actually got it right. P.S. I still love my hoppers.