1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

looking into a tlb or compact tractor, need help!

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by PTSolutions, Apr 11, 2008.

1. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

hey guys, we have been seriously considering investing in a tractor. we are picking up alot more lawn installs, hardscaping etc... and would like to purchase something b/c we also do construction work (my dad owns const. company) instead of renting machines all the time.

i have been really looking into the kubota tlb series heavily, between the b26 and l39 models. i want something with pretty significant lift capacity so we can carry around pallets of pavers or retaining wall units which usually approach 2500lbs. i dont necessarily need full lift height of that weight and we can split loads onto other pallets as well. the problem is our budget. we really invest more than around 18K into a machine of this caliber. A JD 110 is a similar machine, how do these two stack up to each other?

another option i was looking at is the new holland tc48da boomer tractor with the 270tl front loader option.

i will also consider buying used units as well as long as they are under 1000 hours. what are your recommendations for this?

reading through heavy equip trader, i saw a dealer selling bulldog tractors, 4x4 30hp with loader and 16' tandem axle trailer, bush hog, scraper and you get your choice of one of the following: post hole digger, land rake or box blade. the package goes for 10,209. something seems real fishy about that...
  2. jonlavonne

jonlavonne LawnSite Member

Just traded in my 01 MF 1235 for a new 1545 w/ loader. Zero interest for 60 mos., and a new 3 yr warranty. This will be my 4th MF and I'm basically a happy camper. Also have a large Bobcat and a mini-skid. They each have thier place.
  3. BOEpavers

BOEpavers LawnSite Member

We are a hardscaping only company and we have a New Holland TC40DA with loader/hoe and a New Holland LS190 Skidsteer. The TC40 gets used on 95% of our jobs. They are both 4 yrs old, the TC40 has 500 hours, the LS190 100 hours. Both have been maintenance free although we are very anal about PM and daily lube. The TC40 with forks will pick up somewhere around 1500 pounds to the height of our dump bed. I'm not sure of the lift capacity of the TC48. I have been looking at the Kubota B26 as an additional machine as sometimes the TC40 is just too big for some of our jobs. I wouldn't look to lift much in the way of pavers with it. Keep in mind that breaking pallets to move with a machine takes away some of the labor savings that the machine provides. If you're really looking for something to move pavers and wall block in full pallet quantities a skidsteer would be the better choice.
  4. coobie

coobie LawnSite Member

Don,t overlook Kioti brand tractors.:)
  5. Ducati996

Ducati996 LawnSite Member

Go with the L39 and dont look back - its a little better than the 110 from deere and less money. It will lift the loads you speak