Looking into Deere ZTR?????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JBCampbell, Feb 25, 2005.

1. JBCampbell

JBCampbell LawnSite Member

Looking to trade in my 2001 Huster ZTR 52'' machine. Just looking around to see my options. I'm not a full time professional landscaper. I do this part time with my buddy, when I was laid off two years ago. He bought the Hustler from another buddy who said it was a good machine, We've liked it. It's steady and can go. However, my buddy owns the machine and i would like to move on. Being from Illinois, I'm used to the green machine. Before I go to the dealer, can anyone give me insight to their MaxZs. Are they durable like my Deere X485 Lawn tractor.

2. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

Yes there are strong like the X485's. I will be purchasing a new ZTR myself. I too was looking at the Deeres ZTR's. Respectfully the 757. The other day I was in the city for a doctors appointment I thought that I would shop around. I went to our local lawn equipment dealer who now sells Ferris. I was really impressed over the Deere models. And I am one of Deeres biggest fans. The Ferris mowers had all the bells and whistles, better warranty not to mention full indepedent suppension frame with the premium seat that was standard. I am seroiusly rethinking my purchase. I think that I might go with the Ferris.Still pondreing over this thou. :dizzy:

3. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

I am sure that most everyone is aware of this but John Deere has two different pricing structures in place. Retail and then Commercial. Make sure when you are working with Deere that you are dealing with the commercial sales person and not the retail sales people. Also be sure to check out the JD Green Fleet program for the points and discounts too.

4. grassman92

grassman92 LawnSite Member

I am with you Deereman I have green blood but I want to go and look at the Ferris. I am getting a very wide range of prices I know the 2005 will come with ROPS and higher price. So I will shop other states for a 2004 and the best price. :blob3:

5. JBCampbell

JBCampbell LawnSite Member

Grassman 92, what other features are coming out on the '05s Deere ZTRs. Just the ROPS? The web site is not really informative on the 2005. I've done a little more research and they all have the Kaw engines, which ours if fine. Also, anybody heard about this mulching deck they have out???

6. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

I have a 737 60". I think it's a fine machine. nothing real fancy just all of the meat and potato's that you need. It was in for service once and my dealer gave me a 757 60" to use for a few days. I saw no difference with the larger engine in performance the only thing I did notice was that it went through fuel much faster. In my opinion bigger isn't always better.

My 2 cents.

Mike

7. topcat

topcat LawnSite Member
    from Bflo

Deere's mulch on demand deck was limited to only 400 production units. They will be tested in the field this season and then we'll see what happens after that.

8. Throgmorton

Throgmorton LawnSite Member

My dealer had a demo 757 mulch on demand deck and I bought it. Haven't used it much but seems to be a great concept. If the mulch system fails and breaks for some reason, then you can always take all the baffles and mechanisms off and it will be the standard 7 iron deck.
    The mower had 15 hours on it and I paid $7,800. Also bought a used walker. Seems to be a great combo.

9. protouchlawn

protouchlawn LawnSite Member

I bought the 757 with 60" deck last year. It has been a great mower so far. I needed something between the 36" walk behind ant the 60" mower, so last week I bought the 647 Quik-Trak stander. It was a 2004 leftover so I got a GOOD deal on it. It is very stable for being so compact and so far I am impressed with it. If it does as good a job and is as dependable as the 757, that will be good enough for me. The Deere commercial machines are on a par with anything out there IMHO.