looking into purchasing a CTL.. need help!!!

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by jonnyclark, Feb 25, 2007.

1. jonnyclark

jonnyclark LawnSite Member

first of all most of our work is for new installs. loading and hauling topsoil, spreading, grading, and rockhounding soil to prepare for seeding. We have 3 rubber tire tractors and a highlift on site at all times. We are looking for a versatile machine that could replace the highlift on a few occasions, rough grade the subsoil, grade the lawn, stick to the steep slopes, and run the rockhound. Do any of you guys that own a CTL have any input as to which machine could match all of these needs. We have a great relationship with our JD dealer, our Kubota dealer is closer but gouges us on service, our case dealer (Takeuchi) seems to want the business and seems to be in between the other two as far as service. We currently have no Cat equipment so I don't know where they would stand. i just know that there prices are much higher than anyone else on an apple to apples comparison. We have an ASV dealer around but don't know much about them. We are looking hard at the Takeuchi TL140, JD 322, Mustang MTL20(Kubota dealer) and the ASV SR 80, SR 70, RC 60 (new dealer to us) I know this is long and will start a war but any input would be appreciated

2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

When you contact you CASE dealer to demo a TK, I would also try and demo a CASE 440CT. If possible see if he has one with the pilots and ride control. I think you would be impressed with the power. The TK and Mustang are the same machine. The TK may give you better trade/resale based on name but it would likely be nominal.

3. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

I agree.

I own a TL 140 and love it.
    The Case seems too be the only other machine I would consider.
    JD CTL are not in my opinion comparable too the TL 140.

The Takeuchi machines tend too be a more basic simple design.
    Not alot of bells and whistles.
    They have the largest cabs.

The Case machines did not have pilot controls when I purchased my machine.
    I will however look take a look at them this year.

Slopes and pilot controls take some getting used too.

4. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

Use the Search button on the top of the screen. There are a ton of rescent threads over skids/CTL's, and you'll get plenty of good information and opinions. Skids and CTL's have been the hottest topics since I've been on here.

As far as my personal opinion, I like the Deere. IMO, they have the most to offer for how I use mine. I have the CT332, and I traded in a T300 for it. My other two choices would be a Case or Takeuchi, but for what I am most interested in, (lift power, push power, lift height, ease of maintenence, 2-speed, cab layout and visibility, etc...) I liked the Deere best for the money, which was also several thousands cheaper than the Case or TK. Our JD dealer also had a very good reputation, and so far has been great.

I don't know what kind of experience you have with skids/CTL's, so you'll want to find out what controls you want. Deere doesn't offer pilots. I have the hands controls which I like very much. I can run it all day and not feel fatigued, but I think pilots will be an option for every brand in the near future. I haven't ran the Case pilots yet, but I'd like too.

Narrow it down to 3 or 4, and then get some demos for a couple of days and see which machine best fits your needs. There are so many choices that you don't want to rush into anything, because what Joe Blow might need might not, and probably isn't what you need. Don't forget to throw dealer support and reputation into equation. They can make or break a deal.

Good Luck!:drinkup:

5. accurate machinery

accurate machinery LawnSite Member

Takeuchi is the oldest kid on theTrack skid steer block, Case, Deere and New Holland were the last to join the Track skid steer party. ASV and CAT run the ASV undercarriage that you can't buy aftermarket parts for and around here have earned a reputation for being extremely expensive to do an undercarriage overhaul. Western Pennsylvania is rock country, could seriously impact the life span of the undercarriage. I would consider the undercarriage replacement cost and average rubber track hours for the type of work you will do. Some of the contractors in your area could offer you some input about that.

6. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

If you have the time and place?????? I said time! which is hard to find.Is too DEMO! DEMO! DEMO! then start factering in what does what for you? for the price you can afford .

The Demo!!!! has been pounded into my head every since i got here! That would be the first thing on my list.Altho like above it will come down to the best deal for you(not us) and plus service.

Anyone of the above machines would be a good pick.Demo! spin the wheels or in this case!!!!!!! spin the tracks(ctl) and see where you land:dancing:.Then get to making your deal.Good luck!

7. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

If you have the time and place?????? I said time! which is hard to find.Is too DEMO! DEMO! DEMO! then start factering in what does what for you? for the price you can afford .

The Demo!!!! has been pounded into my head every since i got here! That would be the first thing on my list.Altho like above it will come down to the best deal for you(not us) and plus service.

Anyone of the above machines would be a good pick.Demo! spin the wheels or in this case!!!!!!! spin the tracks(ctl) and see where you land:dancing:.Then get to making your deal.Good luck!

8. NateV

NateV LawnSite Senior Member

I like what Case is doing with there pilot conrols.

http://casece.com/features/feature.asp?RL=NAE&id=716

Case pilot controls for skid steers and compact track loaders can be ordered from the factory with H or ISO patterns. Factory-supplied accessory kits are also available through Case dealers to permanently change the pattern from H to ISO or vice versa.

With the H pattern, which is familiar to experienced Case operators, the operator uses the left-hand control to operate the left drive motor as well as to raise and lower the loader arms. The right-hand controller is used to operate the right drive motor and the bucket curl and dump. The fact that the H pattern gives the operator independent control of the ground drives allows the operator to position the machine with greater precision. This is especially important when performing tasks such as fine grading.

With the ISO pattern, the drive functions are in the left controller and the loader arm/bucket functions are in the right controller. This allows for one-handed operation and is prevalent on many non-Case machines.

9. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Watch all of the rubbertracs in the same video clips. Go to mbequipment.com. Tell me which one looks best.

10. jonnyclark

jonnyclark LawnSite Member

I am sure that we will be demoing plenty of machines once things settle down a little in the spring rush. I would like not to have to try them all if at all possible. I know it may be best to try them all but I am trying to get a couple of front runners to try them first. I want to thank all of you for your input so far. I know that it will be relevant information when decision time rolls around. We used to have a JD 8875 Skid Steer but it just didn't work efficiently enough for us. We rented a JD 322 last summer and it was like wow, I could get stuff done quick with that machine. It still was not the right machine for us (I don't think) but it did open my eyes to the world of ctl's and now I can't wait to get one.

DiyDave are you sure that is the correct website??