Looking out for each other

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rider1000, Apr 13, 2002.

1. rider1000

rider1000 LawnSite Member

If you drive by a property that is obviously being maintained by a lawn care service (nice striping, edging, mulch beds, etc.), do not attempt to give a price for their mowing. I know that the only ones I target after the season starts are the ones that the owners are not maintaining. Hopefully everyone who is a lawnsite member understands this courtesy. I've had many customers already tell me that companies have quoted them lower prices that mine, but they are keeping me because they know I do good work. I never try to steal someone else's customers, please give everyone this same courtesy.

2. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

It goes to qualifying a customer when they call you as well. I qualify the customer more to protect myself from a bad customer than anything else.

If someone has a landscaper, I ask why are you chaning service. If someone isn't happy with the quality that's one reason. But if they're just looking for a lower price - I don't want to bid on those jobs. Same thinking here when proactively going after work. I may invite someone to call me who has a landscaper, but I base it off of relationships. If someone isn't satisfied with the quality or responsiveness of their current contractor, by all means - give me a call. But I won't go after accounts on a price basis. Win 'em on price and you'll loose 'em on price.

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I completely agree Rider. During leaf season and other add ons thru out the year I get calls from people. Sometimes I hear my guy only cuts the grass and doesn't have a set up for leaves or etc... I have been asked before to give a price for cutting but I usually decline the offer. I tell them I don't want to take away from the guy they already have. If its a service the other person doesn't perform then I'll do the other work but walk away from what the other LCO is already doing.

I just don't do business that way.

4. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

I don't worry about someone taking my lawns because I have real good relationships with all my customers, but one of my new customers I have this year I stole from a scrub. He cut it terrible one time last year and it hadn't been cut in a couple weeks so I went to talk to them and it's now my account. :p

Hank

5. f350

f350 Banned
    from mi

survival of the fittest..sink or swim.

i am a business man. i dont make money being curtious.

6. Shadetree Ltd

Shadetree Ltd LawnSite Senior Member

Expext no loyalty from a customer that will drop a quality service at the drop of a hat for yourself. You can have all of these kind of customers.

Scott

7. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Never take anything in business for granted. It can all crumble due to circumstances beyond control. Reducing the risks is part of the fun.

I also would not purposely target an account currently under the supervision of another company. Bad blood can make people do crazy things. Not worth "money".

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

buisiness is competitive thing . ill bid any job i think would improve my buisiness. what i wont do is pick a lawn that i see some one doing,an try to take it.nor will i ask what the previous lco was charging,if im called by someone. i bid what will be best for me.

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

f350, i actually agree with u. the only thing i do is ask them if they have discussed the problem with thier guy and have given him reasonable time to rectify the situation. i mean really though, i shouldnt even worry about it, r these guys gonna feed my kids? heck no. just yesterday i was doing a customer in a new area, and another company drove by, real slow looking at my truck, i said hey guys, hows it goin? he gives me the finger. its a dog eat dog world, and we r all wearing milk bone shorts

10. Nelson

Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

Test 123:D