1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Looking out for the little guy's

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by jwscroll, Jul 22, 2006.

1. jwscroll

jwscroll LawnSite Member

My company will not touch a residential at this point because of our commercial work load it's just not worth the hassle. Recently at one of my housing developments( we do the commons area's and entry) I was approached by one of the residents about doing his yard. The yards in this particular development are the exception to the rule having about 2 acres of turf. However all the yards are maintained by much smaller LCO's that depend on these properties for income and reference material. The gentleman that approached me was looking to save a buck or two and asked for a quote. The LCO currently doing the property is doing a very good job, so I hit him with $125.00 per cut. Guy's jaw hits the ground, he's only paying $140.00 per month on a 41 cut schedule. If the LCO had been doing a bad job I would have quoted a price to get it, instead now the property owner has a greater appreciation for his current LCO and the price he's paying.
  2. JCP Crafts

JCP Crafts LawnSite Member

JW ,thats great.I am slowly putting together my equipment,insurance, and business plan,etc...I'm not in a rush to get started ,excited yes,but no rush.
    I will be one of those lil guys in your neck of the woods soon.Though I hope to stay in my hometown to start.
    Thanks for looking out for the small fish. Jim
  3. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

Wow he's getting 2 acres for $35/cut. And wants a LOWER price? I can't stand people like this :dizzy: :realmad:
  4. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

you are, apparently, a really decent person. shame there are not more people like you, as the entire industry would benefit. at least this customer knows what fair market value is now!
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

This is one of the MAIN reasons why I don't like people coming around off the side of the road, time after time this has been my experience with that. Had one guy wanted me to spread mulch for him (someone else's mulch at that), for less than $15 / yard! I told him my going rate is $25 / yard and that's if it's my mulch, someone else's would run him $5 / barrow, so closer to $30 / yard and more if he 'accidentally' gets more delivered than what he said he would...

Most of my lots are resis and I won't touch commercial for similar reasons (not worth it lol), but I wouldn't touch 2 ac's for less than 110, what's that guy's problem? Matter of fact, what's his Lco's problem, that dude should've never showed up to cut it the first time.

But I'm glad you did that $125 quote, maybe the homeowner won't be able to resist running his mouth in front of his current Lco, that should also help some over time. The only bad news is, this homeowner is likely forever ruined for the rest of us... It is possible one day he'll bite the bad apple and pay the going rate, but somehow I see this one calling one Lco after the other, year after year, it is customers like these who help put the new business owner right back out of business, much to both their utter astonishment.

Gee, what did I do? Noooo, not me. :laugh:
  6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Depends on how many others he's mowing there and what he's mowing with.

Throw 10 - 2 acre properties together and mow them with a gang mower and he done in an hr. = $350 :waving:
  7. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

No I believe you take $140 x 12months = 1680/41cuts gives you $40.97/cut. That is still living in the gutter pricing. The question would be what all is he doing for that, just cutting?
  8. jwscroll

jwscroll LawnSite Member

Actually he does a very good full service. Not sure if the LCO is making any money, Probably not at that price.