Looking to actually do a site

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by White Gardens, May 28, 2009.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

So I'm wondering who some of the better web-hosting sites are. Any thoughts?

2. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

I like Intuit. They developed Quickbooks software and also host web sites. I like them a lot. www.intuit.com

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

bluehost is getting high praise of late.

4. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

I swear by Apthost.com myself. Not many issues and little downtime. I'll recommend them.

5. Inspira

Inspira LawnSite Member

Stay away from Intuit, had some bad experiences with them. Check out Rochen.

6. mikey.hill

mikey.hill LawnSite Member

lunarpages ... I'm a web developer and deal with them alot ... do not use intuit under any circumstances though.

7. maintenanceman

maintenanceman LawnSite Member

Bluehost here, no problems.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The best explanation I have heard is, hosting is wild.

9. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks For the posts guys.

I'm still trying to figure on what I'm doing. I dropped the yellow-page add this year and I finally have a good enough portfolio to post pics on a site.

Thanks.

10. Camo_Duck

Camo_Duck LawnSite Member

I am a web designer & I use dreamhost.com
    I did a ton of searching and researching before choosing them. I have been with them a number of years now & have no plan on leaving

Its really good bang for your buck, they have decent tech support, their back end is simple to use, it supports all the features you would ever need....
    including upgrading to a VPS should you ever need it.

All the hosting is carbon neutral, being in the nature business ...I think it might be to your advantage marketing wise to be on a green server :)
    you can see an example of their green hosting verification HERE

Check them out, if you decide to use them use:
    CAMO25OFF as a discount code and it will get you an additional $25.00 off the annual hosting....

The only suggestion I ever make about any hosting service is to buy a year at a time (not more), they might be great now...but you never know what next year will be like, new management or they get bought out...these days you never know.

I have also heard good things about bluehost, as mentioned in other posts, I seriously considered using them myself, the pricing and features are similar
    to dreamhost, but the back-end is much more user friendly at dreamhost than bluehost, that was the deciding factor for me, I host alot of the sites I design on my dreamhost VPS right next to my own site, and I wanted a simple straightforward process that did not waste my time (the opposite of using godaddy for example)

Whatever you decide you cant do much better than those 2, I do not suggest you use godaddy for hosting.... they are great for domain registration (ONLY), but when it comes to hosting they charge too much & will nickel and dime you to death, and working with the back-end is a giant pain in the grass!

-----
    Bob Rooney