Looking to buy 92 6 cyl Cummings TD Auto PU. What should I look at?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Cheryl, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Cheryl

Cheryl LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Guys, The truck I’m looking at has been driven 316k miles. It has a good maintenance record, and in the past 3 years (200k miles) no evidence of heavy hauling, just a lot of xcountry HWY travel. I am going to have my mechanic look at it. I am concerned about the auto. transmission. How would I check it by driving it? Is this a good truck? Does anyone have one?

2. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

3. 98rammer

98rammer LawnSite Member
    from nb

I can help you a lot bud. (i'm a member of DTR and a couple others).

that cummins will go a million miles without a rebuild (if you're not pushing above 400hp). there's one thing i highly recommend with the 12valve motors. you need to "Fix" the "Killer Dowell Pin". the KDP is inserted into the front cover on the front of the motor (where the camshaft and pump gears are located). the pin will often times work its way out and fall down causing $800-$5000 worth of damage (parts or parts and labor). most trucks will never have it happen, but if it does fall out, that would sure ruin your day. there's two easy fixes for that.

Transmission- check the fluid level. check the fluid color (should be a bright red, dark red/brownish means burnt/bad fluid). check the smell--it should be strong and semi-sweet, not burnt. if it's burnt, you do or will have a bad tranny. does the the transmission shift smooth? does it hesitate or hang up?

check for the obvious stuff, rust, how well the interior has been taken care of (hint- look into the door pockets), dings, dents, etc.

when you first look at it, make sure you're starting it when it's fully cold--not having the previous owner warm it up before you get there. blue and/or white smoke can be cold air temp, fuel, timing, or oil blow-by related.

Tom

4. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

5. Cheryl

Cheryl LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Thanks guys,

I agree with all of you and many more that rave about diesel trucks. I inherited one with my business about a year and a half ago (95 Isuzu NPR). I fell in love immediately. Recently, I started looking for another (smaller), and ran across this 92. I fell in love again. Now I am trying to figure out if It is a good fit for me. The one thing I worry about is the transmission and rear, because of the cost of replacing or fixing. I will pay my mechanic to look at it carefully.

6. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I recently got an o1 and have already had to have a solenoid put in the trans because it was starting in 3rd gear I do believe the tranny will blow up before the ext warranty runs out. Mine runs great but the mpg is only about 12

7. Cheryl

Cheryl LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Promo,

Which truck did you buy?

8. ProMo

01 dodge 2500 ctd slt ext cab 40k miles

9. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I had to put the governor solenoid in my 00 too. After a few thousand more miles it died in the middle of a busy intersection. All I can say is thank God there are extended warranties.

I love the truck but my next one will be a 6 speed.

10. ProMo

they tried to tell me the ext warranty wasnt going to cover my trans shortly after they threatened to call the police on my wife I only had the truck for 2 months needless to say it was covered but I will be going to a different dealership if it needs any more work.