Looking to buy a grinder...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, May 6, 2005.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I have been using an angle grinder up to this point. I'm getting tired of sharpening this way.. so I need help picking out a good blade grinder. I searched through some older threads and.. still not sure what would suit my needs.

I'm not even sure how to use a blade grinder. Do you lay the blade flat on work table or do you need to hold it on an angle... to get the appropriate bevel? Do you only use the edge of the grinding wheel?

I need something that will accomodate 24" blades... lots of them. I have a $500 budget.... What should I be looking for in this price range?

Thanks a million...........
  2. gwwilson

gwwilson LawnSite Member

which one to purchase??

sears, 6" bench grinder, cost 79.99
    has a place you can angle your blades to fit.........

i'm using one for 10 years............. and its still going strong

payup payup payup payup :angel: :cool2: :cool2:
  3. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Check Foley's web site, or Neary's for an economical rotary blade grinder.
    A decent one, about 1/2 hp that is bi-directional costs around $450 or so.
    Better yet, keep an eye on Ebay-occassionally one pops up there.
  4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like Brandlein is out of business, so the only other good ones out there are Magna-Matic and they start at $610.

Dont waste your time using a bench grinder. Granted you need one of them in your garage anyways (fine stone on one side to clean up the back side, wire wheel on the other to clean the grass off the blades), but they will never compete with a dedicated blade grinder.

Though I don't care for them, if you do choose a RBG brand, make sure you get the extended reach type (fully sharpened 24" blades are long) and at least a 1hp motor.

More importantly is the motor speed, you want 3450 rpm, not 1725 rpm.

Remember, this is an investment. You'll have it the rest of your life. Don't go cheap on this!
  5. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

We have the Oregon blade grinders on sale.
    88-023 1/2 hp, bi directional.....$299 shipped
    88-021 1 1/2 hp, bi directional...$505.00 shipped
  6. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the Oregon 88-023 and when sharpening my Lazer Z blades I hit the units housing. It will only sharpen about 8/10 of the blade. Not sure if I have the Excaliber blades or not but it doesn't matter much cause it's the first few inches of the blade that does the work.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, make sure get a grinder that is constructed in such a fashion that the case and/or housing isn't in line with the blade travel (lengthwise). I have a small Neary grinder, and it works great for me. Also, the way it's built, I could put a 4 ft. blade through it if I had to. It is a 1/2 hp, but if you stay on top of your stuff relatively regularly, it works great. I'm not sure, but I thought Oregon had some grinders that were made like that...free and clear of the blade.
  8. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the info guys. This is why I'm posting the question.......

Travis... will the 88-021 allow a 24" blade to travel the full distance for sharpening?
  9. oughtsix

oughtsix LawnSite Member
    from oregon

Am I the only one that uses a floor standing belt sander? I start with 100grit to work the nicks out then switch to 150grit for a nice sharp edge. I have an angle stop to set the bevel. I hit the back of the blades only on 150grit.
  10. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I like my RBG .... it's a 3/4 hp which is plenty ..... but a 1hp or better can't hurt .... when we sharpen it's like 15-20 blades to switch out