Looking to buy a Kubota KX-121

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by david bailey, Oct 10, 2012.

1. david bailey

david bailey LawnSite Member

what buckets do you have and what do you use the most? do you have other options on your 161? I was watching the vids with the E50 and that angle head. that would be nice when doing a drainge ditch

2. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

just a 12" trenching and the 24. It has a hyd. thumb, aux hydraulics for attachments (never used one), and auto idle. I wouldnt buy an excavator any size without a hyd thumb.

Angle head? You mean a wrist bucket? You can get one of those for any machine.

3. AEL

AEL LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a wedge coupler, Hyd thumb, extra set of lines plumbed , cab and heat, 24 and 36 inch buckets.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

A couple months ago I was looking to buy a new 121, when I demoed the machine it was very nice and smooth but the cab seemed small and outdated. When I returned the machine they had a U55 come in so I demoed it and ended up buying it. The cab is much more comfortable and the 55 has a lot more power. I got use to the extra size of the machine in a day or two and am now glad I went bigger. The minimal tail swing is also nice.

5. david bailey

david bailey LawnSite Member

yeah but how much more mula was the U55 vs the 121? of course you want the machine to pay for it self but I'd hate the payments when things are slow

6. Danny Boy

Danny Boy LawnSite Senior Member

I have a u 15 and the 161...
    I would never ever trade the 161 for a 121, I work mostly in city lots and have not found a place that it made me want a slightly smaller machine, for sure the u15 fits that need but that is way smaller.
    I have an 18" a 30" and a 48" bucket for my 161, the 48 is used lots, great for back filling and loading trucks..... dont buy a 121 till you have at least tried the 161:)

7. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Of course it costs more however if a couple hunderd bucks a month extra is gonna make or break you then maybe this may not be a wise purchase?
    Expect to spend about 60K on the U55 and about 45k on the 121 depending on options.

8. Justin

Justin LawnSite Member

I have two different friends that have the 121 and the other 161. I've never noticed a place where I couldn't get the 161 vs 121. For the size a 121 is not a bad machine. Not a whole lot (to me) in power difference. If I was going to buy a kubota it would be the U57/55

9. AEL

AEL LawnSite Bronze Member

No u57. It is a kx 57 and u55. Kx has a few inches more reach and more counterweight(over hang).
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

Also the U55 has more break out force.
    Posted via Mobile Device