Looking to buy a walk-behind mower, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rblantonjr, Aug 10, 2007.

1. rblantonjr

rblantonjr LawnSite Member

I am looking to buy a gear-driven walk-behind. I have only owned ZTR's and was looking to add a walk-behind to use on small lawns and as a back-up. Any suggestions? I was looking at the Lesco's. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. GLLawns

GLLawns LawnSite Member

I have a 48 inch Lesco belt drive, and a 48 Lesco hydro and love them both. I would stay with the hydro, especially if you are doing tight areas, but the gear drive is a great mower in my opinion.

3. rblantonjr

rblantonjr LawnSite Member

How is Lesco's dealer repair network?

4. Laidback03

Laidback03 LawnSite Member

i got a 36" exmark metro belt drive. i would go with a 48" exmark Hydro. They are the best mowers out there! 5 years old never replaced a mark jinxx jinxx

5. karol

karol LawnSite Member
    from ontario

If you got wide open yards you can't go wrong with a ferris 36(old style, single hydro) If you got a lot of turning,hills,trees you must have the 36 hustler trim-star. It will save you a lot of time and once you get used to the stearing.

6. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 36" Lesco Hydro and it is a great mower. It does really well on hills and in tight spaces. If you are not going on any steep hills, I think a belt drive would be fine.